We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

We will be leaving Seattle on a Saturday afternoon and will need to be back in Seattle the following Saturday in the morning to return the RV. We have 2 kids ages 7 and 4. Do you have any suggestions on the route to take from Seattle to Glacier National Park and back? Is this enough time for this trip? Any recommendations on things to do or state park (or other RV parks) to stay? We are also considering if we should do a loop and drive up through Canada.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Heather

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

I have done that drive the long way (Hwy 2 thru the Wenatchee Valley and Leavenworth. We did it in one really long day of driving but with little kids you may want to split it up into two medium days. The less scenic way but faster would be to take I90 to St Regis then 135, 200 and 93.

If you want to enjoy Glacier skip the loop thru Canada. Too much driving with kids IMO.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 02:16
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

remember the campgrounds in Glacier do not have hookups so you willl need to use the generator for any electrical needs. There are nice KOAs on each side of GNP in St Mary and West Glacier.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 02:22
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
606 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Keep in mind that the Going to the Sun Road, which connects the east and west side of GNP, and one of the most scenic drives in the country, has limitations on the size of vehicles allowed on that road.

hikinginglacier.com/glacier-going-to-the-sun…

You can always take one of the red bus tours to see the road or use one of the free park shuttles.

nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/usingshuttle.htm

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Thank you everyone so much for steering me in the right direction. It looks like we may only have 2 or 3 days in GNP. Is it worth it to go or should we wait until we have more time? If we only have 2 days, I think we would enter the west entrance. I assume that we should do the sun road (without the RV) for one day. What recommendations do you suggest for the second day?

Thank you very much.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

I have done Sea to Spokane lots of time. 4.5 hours on I90 (fastest) Sea - Spokane, another 4 to 4.5 hour from Spokane to West Glacier. It is doable in one day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Another question. We will pick up the RV in the afternoon, so won't be able to leave Seattle until 3 pm. If we break up the trip, any suggestions on where to stay for 1 night? Maybe somewhere that is about 5-6 hours away? I don't think we will stay in the place too long in the morning.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Which route are you taking, I 90?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Yes. We are taking i90.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Spokane (4.5 hours), Coeur d'Alene (<5 hours) will offer the most lodging options; after that Kellog (5.5 hours), and Wallace (6 hours) are more populated towns. Beyond Wallace, the next decent size town would be near GNP (Kalispell). BTW, Kellog has a nice ski resort; your may get good deal there in the summer?

Edited: 25 July 2013, 00:00
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Trip from Seattle to Glacier National Park in August

Thank you very much. I will check out those places and see if we can find a good place just for a night.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park