We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothes for glacier national park

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Topic
clothes for glacier national park

If we aren't camping (staying in hotels) do we need to bring warm coats with us? Is a medium fleece enough?

Do most people bring rain coats or ponchos? If I just bring a rain coat, I feel that I need to bring rain pants as well. Or maybe after that lightning incident, hiking in the rain isn't such a great idea anyway? How often does it rain in Glacier during the summer (we'll be there the first week of August).

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothes for glacier national park

Usually weather in Glacier during the first week of August is gorgeous but....it can rain, snow, sleet, hail etc any time. In 2010 we were ther first week of August. had all conditions, in fact it rained so hard when we were camping, our stuff got wet and we ended up in a motel in East Glacier for one night. then it cleared up and four wonderful, warm sunny days followed. You just never know.

A medium fleece under a rain shell is plenty for protection from the elements. We have rain pants too.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 05:26
Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: clothes for glacier national park

Thanks! I was trying to avoid the rain pants, but am thinking of bringing them now!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: clothes for glacier national park

As said above, be prepared. But have warm stuff on underneath at all times. We just spent 12 nights in Yellowstone and Gkacier and except for one very cool morning on 7/4 it was basically shirts weather throughout. We would start in jeans and have a light zip up with us anyway in case.

https://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com/

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: clothes for glacier national park

layer! I like the poncho concept as keeps me dry and very light weight, but then we look a little funny (function over form) As GNP4ME stats, weather usually nice but I also have been snowed on twice in August

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: clothes for glacier national park

Thanks again very much. We'll bring lots of layers!

6. Re: clothes for glacier national park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 07:19