We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

My wife and I are planning a four day trip to Glacier. We are in our mid 60's and don't plan on taking any long walks. What would keep us interested for the days we are there? We enjoy looking for wildlife.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

The Many Glacier area and Logan Pass are both good for wildlife. The road back to Many Glacier is usually a good spot in the mornings and evenings. There are boat rides on all the lakes, I think St. Mary Lake is most scenic. Personally, I could spend two days traveling across the GTTSR. You see different things each time. A day trip to Two Medicine and a drive to the North Fork, stopping in Polebridge might also interest you.

West Glacier...
Level Contributor
13 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

I agree that Many Glacier and Polebridge are great ideas! If you do end up on the West side of the park, one fun experience is a Scenic Float or Scenic Dinner Float with Great Northern Resort. The Scenic Dinner Float is my favorite. It's a 3 hour float on a beautiful stretch of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River (the Southern Boundary of Glacier National Park). If you choose the dinner option, the food is fabulous!

long island
Level Contributor
462 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

Any suggestions on where we should stay? Should we spilt are nights between different areas or just use one location?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

I would stay most of the time in Many Glacier or near there. At this late date, rooms inside the park will be hard to find as bookings start a year in advance and choices are limited. Most lodging on the east side is in East Glacier, which is close to Two Medicine but over an hour each way to GTTSR and then Many Glacier is another half hour or so. Google Babb or St. Mary Lodging for the east and maybe try West Glacier for that area. www.glacierparkinc.com for in park lodging. I would call and check for cancellations and not rely on the website as sometimes it isn't up to date. With so few lodging choices on the east, you may have trouble finding any rooms. You could also try www.vrbo.com for a cabin but many of these are in East Glacier, so watch the location.

5. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 12:08
NJ
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

In the many glacier area:

A walk to fishercap lake usually will produce a moose or two in the evening, it's an easy stroll. you may also see mountain goats or bears on the hillside across the lake.... very easy trail. you can go on to redrock falls....some have seen bears on this trail but this can happen anywhere in glacier....

although it is about an hour away from the many glacier area, you may enjoy staying in the Glacier Park Lodge.

for lodging, see glacier park inc. there was a room in glacier park lodge in east glacier. ( i wouldn't stay in whitefish, too far away)

you can also try west glacier village, NOT part of the park but it is steps away from the village inn (which is in the park system) on lake macdonald. in fact one of the streams connected to the lake runs along the back of the property. you can use the west side of the park for polebridge (hopefully the bakery is open!!!!!) great easy lake hikes out that way.... plenty to see no matter your age or hiking skills, plenty of walking to be done as well!

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

Not a lot of walking and wildlife. Many glacier area you may see bears, moose, etc. also think about heading to Waterton if you have your passports. We saw deer and fix right away and they let you see them up close.

https://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com/

8. Re: trip early september 1 to 5, 2013- first time visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:17