We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Has anyone hammock camped at any of these back-country campsites in GNP? Was the experience good or bad?

1) Morning Star Lake

2) No Name Lake

3) Upper Two Medicine Lake

4) Cobolt Lake

5) Two Medicine Lake

Thanks.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

you need to go to www.glacierparkchat.com to ask that question. Not all campsites have the trees to tie the hammock to.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

And.... If you find out, come back and post here... I started hammock camping a couple of months ago and I just love it! Clark jungle hammock, Incubator UQ, warbonnet superfly tarp... No top quilt yet..

I've been a day hiker and just haven't paid much attention to how practical "hanging" in Glacier would be.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Also call the Glacier back country office for that info

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

This is the response I received from the GNP back-country permit office regarding the above mentioned campsites:

There are trees at all of those campsites. I can say from personal experience that sleeping in a hammock is cold here, even in August. I slept out with a pad inside the hammock and a tent fly over the top, and wasn't well rested the next day. It's up to you, but I would certainly recommend a tent.

Take care,

Kelsey and the Permit Staff

Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Thanks Spunk, obviously Kelsey is not familiar with today's hammock gear, even at 60 degrees an underquilt is necessary for most to avoid CBS.. (cold butt syndrome)... my incubator underquilt is good to 20deg. F.....

And... If you do "hang" in Glacier, come back here and post... Or send me a PM...

Edited: 26 July 2013, 14:10
Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Since a lack of trees isn't a problem I plan on hanging throughout the trip. I'm slinging a Hennessy with a Mt Washington underquilt so the cold shouldn't be a problem. Will post an update when I get back early September.

Jacksonville Beach...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Interesting! The main benefit of "hanging"? -- more comfortable? Less gear to pack in? No chance of a bear dragging you out of your tent sounds like a nice advantage. How high in a tree do you anchor, typically? And from what I remember about all those conifers, not that many low-placed branches. So how in the world do you get up there in the first place? Can you reposition yourself as you sleep, or are you stuck in your original repose? Would love to hear from those that have done this a bit.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 19:45
Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Yes, the biggest benefit is the comfort level gets you away from all the crawly little critters as well. Not much protection from bears though.. Sorta resembles a giant Taco to them! How high up the tree the straps are attached depends on the distance between the trees... Optimum distance between trees is 12-15 feet.. That puts the tree straps about 6-7 feet up... The hammock itself will be only about 2 feet. off the ground...Today's hammocks have builtin mosquito netting and some even zip closed rain tight in addition to that... Usually a tarp is hung over the hammock and provides more protection from the elements and a rain free. cooking area Google Clark Jungle Hammocks to get a beter idea.... I've been doing this for a few months and really like it.. I've read where people in places like Zion even tie off to Boulders rather than trees.. And wouldn't you know, there's even a hammock forum... Seems like there's a forum for everything these days.... Hammockforums.net ...

Jacksonville Beach...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

Ha! A giant taco?? Hm, I think I prefer the tent - looks more like a box lunch that way, a little more work for the bear to get to the sandwich (me inside the sleeping bag). Here I was picturing that hammock 15 feet off the ground, the slumbering hiker blissfully unavailable to the furry creatures below. But it does sound like there are other advantages. I'd never heard of it. A little out of the loop with backcountry camping these days....

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hammock Camping in Glacier National Park

I have a light weight hammock that I take with me every time I go on vacation. I string it up at every resort, campground and back country campsite if there are trees. Some I've been to don't have trees suitable especially in the high country where it's mostly scrub firs. I have never slept over night in it though but have often thought that if I ever back packed alone, I would give it a try. hey John, when are you going to be in the park this summer?

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park