We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

Allen, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

We have decided on a 2 hour horseback ride on the west side of Glacier. So, that narrows it down to the CM Russell trail at Apgar or the Upper McDonald Creek trail. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these rides? I don't know how to decide and would like to reserve a time before we get to the park. Thanks.

Easley, SC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

Did you get any answers on this?... I am planning a trip and was wondering this as well.

Allen, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

I didn't get a response, but we decided on the CM Russell trail. Our family had never been on a trail ride together. The kids had various scouting and birthday party experiences on horses, but we are beginners for sure. So, two hours was the right amount of time for us. The trail is mostly wooded. There were a couple of meadows. For the most part, there are not stunning views like in the rest of GNP. We enjoyed our experience, but somehow were probably expecting or hoping for something more adventurous or spectacular if that makes sense. We saw a deer and the highlight was seeing a bald eagle perched in a tree probably only 15 feet off the trail. You aren't allowed to take cameras on the trail ride with you. I understand why, but would have liked to have pictures of the eagle. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I am happy to answer. We loved our GNP trip this past summer.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,318 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

I am a fan of the McDonald option as you have the river views and are just below some of the large peaks of Glacier

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

I would choose a ride to Cracker Flats or for all day ride to Cracker Lake in the Many Glacier area. Much more scenic ride than anything onthe west side

5. Re: Horseback riding in GNP: Russell vs. McDonald Creek trails

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:16