We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Since learning that Sun Point parking lot is closed, I will have to have my husband drop me off and pick me up for my hike to Baring Falls. (He will return to the lodge to pass the time.) I really need to know how much time to allow for a non-hiking senior to make that hike. I will factor in what I spend on photography in addition to reader's hiking time suggestions. It's tough enough carrying a heavy camera and tripod and I don't feel comfortable about walking up to Sunrift parking lot along the roadside after the hike.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

If your objective is to see Baring Falls, why can't he drop you off at the Sunrift Gorge parking? Baring Falls is very close to Sunrift Gorge; from the NPS map it is 0.3 miles from the trail head at Sunrift Gorge. And I don't understand your having to walk up along roadside to Sunrift parking after Baring Falls either since the trail head is right there at the parking area. Please explain.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 17:52
Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

After Montana_slowhiker told me the Sun Point parking lot was closed, I called the Visitor Center to ask how else I could get to Baring Falls. I was told we could park at Sunrift parking, about 1/2 mile up the road. I thought Baring Falls was accessed through the Sun Point Nature Trail. Here is where I got the impression Baring was through Sun Point:

nationalparked.com/US/…Hiking_Trails.php

So glad you straightened that out for me! After returning to my park trail maps, I did indeed find the tiny print showing Baring Falls right next to Sunrift. Thanks Yung4fr.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Short way down to Baring Falls but steep from Sunrift Gorge parking. For me it's about 10 minutes down to the falls as there are numerous other smaller falls on the way down. About 15 to 20 minutes up if you go really slow.

Are you going to hike to St Mary Fall? You can combine the two falls enter from Sunrift and exit from St Mary Falls. That way also takes you along the St Mary Lake. If you are there before Labor Day the quickest way is by Glacier Boat as the dock is about 50 yards from Baring Falls.

Montana slow hiker

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

If you are at Sunrift Gorge parking area, you might want to go up to take a look at the gorge also. It's very short walk up to the lookout point, like 200 feet on the uphill side of the road, but it's kind of neat.

Take a look at this map which offers a closer look at the area you are interested in. If you put your cursor on number 35 (and leave it there) you will see pictures of Sunrift Gorge. Putting your cursor on number 17 would show Baring Falls.

nps.gov/glac/…hiking_stmary-2.swf

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

BTW, where are you lodging at? If it is Swiftcurrent (which I saw in another post) and you are only doing Baring Falls, your husband is not going to have enough time to get to Swiftcurrent and back since you likely only require 30 to 45 minutes, but it will take him 2 hours round trip to and from Swiftcurrent Motor Inn without spending any time at the lodging. Perhaps he can drive up to Logan Pass (about 15 minutes away), look around for 15 minutes, then come back to get you?

I would say even if you include St Mary's Falls in your stops, it would still not make sense for him to drive all the way to Swiftcurrent and back.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Yung4fr has a good point your husband may be better off going to Rising Sun or the St Mary Visitor Center.

montana slow hiker

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Here is the tentative plan based on all the new information. I will try to get a hiking buddy for St. Mary Falls and Baring Falls on the 8th, will take my chances going to Fishercap Lake in the late afternoon of the 7th, and will let my husband wait for me in the Sunrift parking area while I go walk back to the Nature Trail on the morning of the 9th on our way across the GTTS. Can you tell me more about the Sun Point Overlook--I assume I'll have to walk back from Sunrift--is it level between Sunrift and Sun Point? At Logan pass I'll hike a little ways on the Hidden Lake trail--so sending hubby there when I'm at Baring wouldn't make sense.

When I hike to St. Mary Falls, my husband will go back to St. Mary Lodge for breakfast.

We're there at Glacier Sept. 6-12 so the shuttle and St. Mary's boat will be shut down.

I'm only good for so much hiking in one day so I'm trying to space things out a bit. :-)

BTW, Yung4fr, that's a neat interactive map link!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Well if you are goingbto St. Mary Falls, itbwould be a shame not to go the extra 1/2 mile to Virginia Falls. Best one IMO.

Nebo, NC
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

gnp4me, hiking a significant grade change is hard on me, especially carrying the camera and tripod. Once I am there and have reached St. Mary Falls, I'll have a better idea of whether I can include Virginia. I'm just sorry the boat is no longer available.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help, Please, on Hiking Time to Baring Falls

Northwoods, if you are worried about elevation gains, skip Baring Falls and just hike to St Mary and Virginia Falls from the St Mary Falls trailhead. Once you hike down the initial short downhill, the hike is flat. DO NOT MISS VIRGINIA FALLS! The boat would not make that much differnce if you started at Sunrift Gorge any way.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park