We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip plan

United States
Level Contributor
418 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip plan

We are getting so excited for our first trip to GNP next weekend. We are both pretty active, decent condition, love to hike and take photo's. My BF thinks I am crazy to always have an itinerary for vacations, but I want to make the most out of every trip we take (probably why I always return from vacation, exhausted!). Here is our tentative trip plan -

Fri, Sep 6 – Arrive FCA at 11:30 p.m. – Staying overnight at hotel in Kalispell

1. Sat, Sep 7 – Drive to GNP, stopping at Super One in Columbia Falls for non-perishable food supplies, water, beer & wine; Glacier Guides on Rte 2 for 2 cans of bear spray. Staying 2 nights at Apgar Village Inn – check in motel, stop at visitor center for park information and conditions. Take a leisurely drive along GTSR and hike Trail of the Cedars/Avalanche Lake.

2. Sun, Sep 8 – Head out for an early breakfast, hike Highline Trail to Haystack and back. Kayak in p.m. on Lake McDonald

- Dining options In Apgar – Belton Chalet, Eddie’s, Glacier Highlands, Jammer Joe’s

3. Mon, Sep 9 – Early check out and head to MGH for 5 nights. Hike Hidden Lake Overlook and St. Mary’s/Virginia Falls.

4. Tue, Sep 10 – Boat/Hike Grinnell Glacier

5. Wed, Sep 11 – Hike Scenic Point Trail

6. Thurs, Sep 12 – Hike Iceberg Lake

7. Fri, Sep 13 - Sunrift Gorge to Siyeh Pass and back

8. Sat , Sep 14 – Fly home

i. Dining options – Park Café, Johnson’s, Two Sisters, Cattle Baron, Serrano’s

Other To Do’s:

1. Photo at Wild Goose Island overlook

2. Evening stroll to Fishercap Lake to look for moose

Do any of the restaurants serve beer/wine? Any other tips on great photo opportunities?

Thanks! I greatly appreciate all of the great advice so far!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip plan

Most restaurants serve beer. I'm not sure about the wine. It sounds like you have a great plan. Just have a few back up trails in case of closures due to bear activity. At Many Glacier, Cracker Lake or Swiftcurrent would be good choices.

Level Contributor
370 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip plan

Nice plan, I wish I were going! I also think Swiftcurrent would be a good choice... <----- Very much bear/moose country.. Moose Drool is available throughout the park, it's a Montana beer (ale) and very good!

Personally I don't care for the Park Cafe.

You'll have a great time!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip plan

Belying chalet for dinner! Fishercap both early and late for moose, bullhead also for moose. Drive MG road slowly to look for bears as they frequent that area

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip plan

Just returned from MG area. Bear sitings non existent the time I was there. Pretty disappointing compared to last year when grizzlies were everywhere.

5. Re: Trip plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2014, 06:38