We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

Philadelphia...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

I am planning a cross country rail trip in June, 2014. I intend to spend a couple of days in Glacier Nat'l Park around 6/21. I will appreciate recommendations on hotels which are easily accessible from train stations. Also, which of the the three train stations are closest to most lodging.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

All three stations are short walks to lodging. At East Glacier you have the historic Glacier Park Lodge which is across a lawn and garden from the depot. They will pick you up even though you could easily walk. Some of the small mom and pop motels that are in town but a few blocks away will also pick you up at the depot. The staff at the Isaac Walton Inn picks up passengers since the train stops a couple blocks down the tracks. The Belton Chalet is across the street from the West Glacier depot and the West Glacier Motel is a couple blocks down the street. Keep in mind, GTTSR may or may not be open when you are there.

Philadelphia...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

Thanks for the information. Any suggestions for lodging?

Bob

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

GNP gave you several suggestions. Glacier Lodge is a one hundred year old log chalet located at the East Glacier train depot.

Belton Chalet is just a little bit younger and located across Hwy 2 from the West Glacier train depot.

The interesting tidbit that I was totally surprised by was that the train stop for Essex isn't at Essex but a few blocks away. Again the Izaac Walton Inn as do all of the others that gnp4me suggested are historic lodging built to support the Great Northern Railroad and still going strong over hundred years later.

I will aslo second gnp4me caution that it is possible that only part of GNP will be open in late June of any year. Something that will not be determined until mid May at the earliest and sometimes not known until mid July. That depends entirely on winter and late spring snowfall.

2011 was a historic winter for NorthWest Montana and you can see some of the effects on my page for that year.

www.glacierhikers.com/index2011.html

The only one of the above that I have stayed at as I usually camp is the Izaak Walton Inn in one of their caboose's, which was a lot of fun, that was over 20 years ago.

montana slow hiker

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

I would not stay at Isaac Walton. It's very remote and the hikes from there are not ideal. Staying in West or East Glacier would give you access to rental cars.

Philadelphia...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I appreciate the information.

Bob

6. Re: Glacier Nat'l Park Arrival by Rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 06:22