We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to spend time in GNP.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Best way to spend time in GNP.

My husband and I are planning our tip to GNP, YNP and Tetons for the end of August . We are planning on arriving in Kalispell on Aug. 27th. I thought we should spend our first night at the Village Inn at Apgar (?). Where should we stay in between (Many Glacier?)?We have reservations at Mammoth Cabins of YNP on Aug. 31, so that leaves us 3 full days in GNP. Although I'm worried that driving to YNP in one day might be too much. We haven't finalized our first day yet, and could arrive the 26th if that would be more doable. We like easier hikes and checking out the historic lodges/dining. What are recommendations for driving to YNP?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

I always tell travelers to GNP to start on the West side and then take GTTSR over to the east and stay at Many Glacier. The scenery gets more and more stunning traveling from West to east. The Village inn is a great place fore your first night. Nothing fancy but you can't beat the location. Better get those reservations soon as in now. I had a hard time getting reservations at Swift current, many glacier and village inn for late August. Take what you can get. As far as driving to YNP in one day, I 'd go for it. Staying over night in between would cut into you stays at both parks. Not worth it IMHO.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

agree with gnp4me...

Village Inn..then Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent for the rest of the trip...

Hike Hidden Lake on the way from Apgar to Many Glacier...get to Logan Pass by 9AM to avoid big parking problems...

Other easy hikes I'd recommend include Swiftcurrent Trail (Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent area), and if you are up for it the 9.5 mile Iceberg Lake hike (Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent area)...

Though it gets very crowded and I don't like it as well as the above, St. Mary/Virginia Falls is an option on the east side of GTTS road...

Oklahoma City...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

I think trying to see 3 parks will be hard to do and relax in to the feeling of adventure you could get by taking more time.I drove 4800 miles in April of 2013 and stopped at Glacier,Mount Vernon Tulip Festival, Olympia National Park and Buchart Garden in B C Came home through Columbia river Gorge. This was a whirlwind trip of 12 days and part of it is a blur now. leaving from east side of Glacier you will be in North Yellow Stone shortly that part is in Montana. but getting into the Wyoming part is doable in a day.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 21:43
Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

I respectfully disagree with woolf2013. OP has no intention of even driving 1500 miles, much less 4000. She is not interested in long hikes so she will have plenty of time to enjoy the 3 parks.

Royersford...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

Thanks for the advice!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

3 awesome parks!!!! All very different experiences. The Tetons are an incredible Mountain Range, Yellowstone there is so much diversity, the geothermal and lots of wildlife. Glacier, however, captured our hearts and we will be returning for trip 3 in August. It is just drop dead gorgeous!

Easy hikes as Toddnick mentioned Hidden Lake at Logan's Pass, I also recommend people walk across the street to the start of the Highline Trail and walk down to where the garden hose begins, that is an amazing view from right there! Then stop and do the Waterfall hikes, they are short but still very nice.

Walk down to Fishercap Lake in the evening for possible moose sightings.

Love Village Inn views. We buy a bottle of wine and grab chairs down by the lake, that view is outstanding.

Make sure to stop in Lake McDonald Lodge as well.

Have a great trip!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

Two things I thought of that we loved in the Tetons was the Signal Mountain Summit drive, incredible vista's from up there without any hiking at all (one direction all prairie, and the other incredible mountain views) and if you go to the start of the Jenny Lake Trailhead where you can take the boat, it is a very short hike once you get off the boat to Hidden Falls, we saw eagles on that trail.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 17:30
Royersford...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

Sounds great, thanks!

Missoula, Montana
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

Making reservations for August, even as early as now, can be very difficult. Many Glacier is popular and gets booked up sooner than you think--so book now.

Since you're still planning, perhaps these sites can help you plan. For hikes: hikinginglacier.com/glacier-best-easy-hikes.… and http://www.glaciermt.com/hiking.php. You can also explore the latter site for other activities to do in GNP, particularly lodges and historical sites.

Enjoy!

Royersford...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to spend time in GNP.

So I added a day to the begining of our trip and was able to book 2 nights and Village Inn and 2 nights at Many Glacier! Looking forward to it! Thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park