We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
322 reviews
Save Topic
GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

Trip is late July early August. Plan 1 night Kalispell, 3 nights Many Glaciers (already booked) we then have two full days and two nights before our next booked stay at Canyon lodge Yellowstone. We love driving, photography, wildlife and scenery. Don't mind short (max 2 hours) easy walks to viewpoints. At some stage would like to drive Going to Sun Road and Bear Tooth Pass.

This is probably our only trip to this area. My questions are. Scenic route from Glacier to Yellowstone with two overnight stops? Also how can I incorporate two drives mentioned above into the trip?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

Drive GTTSR as you go to Many Glacier from Kalispell. I like to drive this road both directions. You might drive it going west to Logan Pass at least on one of your days at Many, depending on how much time you have. It doesn't sound like you are going to be taking any of the longer hikes. I am assuming you are staying in Kalispell before Many Glacier. If that is so, you could take 89 toward Choteau to get to Yellowstone. Travel on the interstate (15 then 90) to Billings and enter Yellowstone thru Cooke City. This would take you thru the Beartooth Pass. As for places to stay, one night at Red Lodge. There may be more scenic ways to get to Beartooth than the interstate. Maybe someone else can suggest this and a place for your other nights stay. This will be a longer route to Yellowstone than entering thru Gardiner but will allow you to drive Beartooth and with two full days to travel, should not rush you.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

Once you get to I-90, instead of driving all the way to Billings, turn at Columbus to take Rt 78 down through Absarokee, Roscoe, by Luther, & into Red Lodge. It's an incredibly lush valley drive to Red Lodge. We've seen huge herds of deer, sandhill cranes, hawks. & pheasants. Watch for deer & don't drive in the dark.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 14:46
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, Happy New Year. I've found a link to Montana Scenic Loop which has given me some ideas.

montanascenicloop.com/do_the_loop/index.php

Further ideas most welcome

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

From Red Lodge drive over the Beartooth Pass to the Northeast entrance of Yellowstone at Cooke City/Silver Gate

OR

From Red Lodge drive over the Beartooth Pass to the Chief Joseph Hwy (another scenic drive) to Cody, WY

Spend a night in Cody for the evening rodeo then take the East entrance into Yellowstone head into Yellowstone the same day if you are tight on time.

5. Re: GlacierNP to Yellowstone NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2015, 06:18