We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

After a great trip from Jackson Hole, WY to Gold Beach, OR to Portland, OR a few years ago; my family of 6 (kids 13 - 8) is planning our next 'Out West' trip to Glacier NP. We are heading out of Bozeman in a large RV (30ft) the first week of June for 9 days. I'm expecting some snow on the ground and cool nights but want to head up to Many Glacier for a couple days (hiking) and then over to the west side, Lake McDonald, via Two Medicine (Dino stop?). I know I cannot make the Going-to-the-Sun road with the RV. Any suggestions? In particular, with only ~6 days in Glacier should I stay on the east side only? Are days in Helena and Great Falls worth it? I'm planning to attempt an early morning search for a RV spot at Many Glacier campground, is this worth the effort? How much trouble am I asking for by driving an RV in this area? Any help is appreciated!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

Many Glacier Campground is scheduled to open 5/24/14 this year according to GNP website.

When I camped there last year in early June the campground was not full. There was a lot less snow last year.

Expect snow on ALL of the trails in Many Glacier at that time of year this year.

This does not mean that you won't be able to hike but it will still be winter conditions at Iceberg Lake etc.

It won't matter that you have an RV as the GTSR won't open BEFORE June 22 to through traffic (if then)

Weather is wild this year so melt out could be pretty fast.

Two Medicine is very pretty at that time of year, as is Many Glacier.

www.glacierhikers.com/day-hikes-many.html

www.glacierhikers.com/day-hikes-two-med.html

I was able to hike three miles before hitting snow on the Grinnell Glacier Trail about that time last year.

There was a snow drift about 15 feet high just before getting to Iceberg Lake, but I was able to get to the lake.

Check with the backcountry office in Many Glacier and Two Medicine as they will have up to the minute status of local trail conditions.

Many Glacier office is opposite the sign-in area for Many Glacier Campground. Two Med is the first buidling on the right as you take the road to Two Med's Campground.

Montana slow hiker

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

Hiking will be very limited the first part of June due to snow on the trails...though it will be easier for you to get a campsite...slow hiker has great information above...

Kalispell, MT
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

June in Glacier is typically rainy, the GTTS road is closed until 6/20, and the trails are often still snow-covered. July-Sept are better months to see Glacier.

If your itinerary starts in Bozeman, have you considered a visit to Yellowstone, or did you see some of it on your Jackson trip? The climate is just enough warmer that you're more likely to get better weather that time of year.

I grew up in Great Falls. It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't say it's a lot better than the National parks!! There is quite a bit of history and nice museums in both towns. The Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center, Giant Springs, and the C.M. Russell Museum (if you like Western art) are all great places to visit.

The Capitol and cathedral are nice to visit in Helena.

If you're looking for spectacular outdoor scenery, focus on the Parks.

Chagrin Falls, Ohio
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

First, Thank you for helping many of us enjoy this National Treasure!! and read your posts on biking GTSR from Avalanche Creek during the weekends. This is great info. Could I ask, is this difficult riding? I have kids 8, 10, 12, 13 and wonder if they could make it even for 10 miles or so? I will have a 30ft RV so will have to camp at Apgar and not Avalanche Creek (25ft limit it looks like). What time do they typically open for the 'weekend' (as I'll have to drive up prior)? Thanks Again!!!

5. Re: Family of 6 RV trip to Glacier NP from BZN week 1 June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 04:20