We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

I going out in July with a photo group and the group is going to hike to Hidden Lake but father time has more or less caught up with my hiking and I'd appreciate the distance and elevation change to the overlook. Is the view good for a photograph?

Thanks,

Kent

USA
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

According to my guidebook: Hidden Lake Overlook Distance: 3 miles RT, Elevation gain: 526 feet. It's supposed to be mostly boardwalk/stairs - when I attempted it last year, it was snow covered. I'm expecting it to be easier this year when I go in August. The view sounds very worth it. Even the views on the one mile I did last year were good.

This website also provides hiking details, I've seen it referenced here before - hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake-overlook.htm.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

Thanks, Al, for the info and the link.

Kent

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
329 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

There are 2 options on this hike. You can hike to the Hidden Lake Overlook, which is what most people do, or you can hike all the way down to Hidden Lake. The information above is the hike to the overlook. I'm not sure if you intended to hike all the way down to Hidden Lake, but if so, it's about a 770 foot drop after the overlook. When we went, it wasn't bad going down, but it was tough on us going back up. We are glad we hiked down there, and we would definitely do it again. The lake was so beautiful and so clear. You could see tons of fish in the water. We also saw a marmot on the way. Here is the info for hiking down to the lake: www.hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake.htm

Enjoy your trip!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

The elevation change to the overview is modest. There's an incline while traveling on the boardwalk and its steps, but once you reach the trail, it's fairly level from there to the overview. If you're in at least average condition, you shouldn't have a problem Since you're going in July, expect the trail off of the boardwalk to be completely snow covered for the most part. It will be packed down, but you'll need your walking stick and good traction shoes to assist in keeping your footing. The boardwalk/steps should be free of snow.

The view from the overview is gorgeous as are the views around you! Furthermore, you're bound to see mountain goat by the trail for extra added fun. A marmot makes his home in the rocks by the overview so keep an eye out for him as well. Yes, the trail down to the lake is steeper and hike back up can be taxing for some folks. You'll see the trail from the overlook and can decide if you want to go to the lake or remain at the overview.

For being one of the shorter trails in the park (overview), you get a lot of bang for your buck. It's very popular for this reason. Should your group decide to hike down to the lake, you can always hang out on the rocks at the overview until they come back up. Bring a snack or your lunch and enjoy the view!

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
844 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

Thanks, all, for your replies. I'll wait until we get there and decide.

Kent

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,147 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

I thought this hike was harder than expected....we found the boardwalk & steps harder than the trail. With that said, take your time and don't miss it. It is a place for beautiful photos. Besides the lake & the wonderful glacial colored water, we got a close up of a marmot, a coyote, a mamma goat AND a fuzzy fat baby too!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

GwenP has it right. you can decide once there to go all the way down to the lake or not. the antics of the mountain goat kids kept me entertained. also saw big horn sheep up there, marmots, and very crafty squirrels that believe any knapsack on the ground is fair game!

8. Re: Distance and elevation change from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park