We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Itinerary and a question or two

Virginia, USA
Level Contributor
153 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Itinerary and a question or two

We are planning 10 days in Glacier this July with our 18 year old grandson. We have a truck camper on a Dodge Ram 2500. With the camper mounted we are 23 feet long. Without the camper we are 21 feet long. My primary question is for suggestions on how to best manage GTTSR. Unmounting the camper is not an issue and we usually do if we are staying somewhere more than a night or two. We will be on the East side of the park for 4 nights - all at St. Mary's and on the West side for 6 nights - 2 reserved at Fish Creek and then are planning on 4 nights at Bowman or Kintla Lake. I've been thinking that we should drop the camper in St. Mary's and do the GTTSR east to west and return via Rt 2. It looks like about a 2 hour drive - so would give us most of the day to explore/hike GTTSR. But we would have to drive Rt 2 again to get to the west side of the park with the camper. Would it be more interesting to drive both ways on GTTSR in one day? Or is that too much....

Here's our current plan.

Day 1 - Arrive from Yellowstone (Livingston) - Have reservations at St. Mary CG for 4 nights.

Day 2 - GTTSR

Day 3 - Waterton (I know we need passports) Depends on whether our grandson has his heart set on going to Canada - He's never been. Is it possible to do justice to Many Glacier and Waterton in one LONG day? If he isn't set on going to Canada, I'm planning Many Glacier for the day. Probably going to Grinnell Lake via the boat.

Day 4 - Hiking in the St. Mary's Lake area - I'm thinking about Virginia Falls.

Day 5 - Drive to Fish Creek CG with stop at Two Medicine. Probably arrive at Fish Creek after dinner.

Day 6 - Hikes in McDonald Lake area. - I'm open to suggestions. Husband and grandson are in good shape. I have some medical issues that limit me to 2-3 miles. If we split up, is it safe to assume that any of the trails I could manage in that area would be fairly busy and I wouldn't need to be concerned hiking alone.

Day 7 - 10 - Go to Bowman or Kintla Lake - we have kayaks and want to "hang out" after 2 busy previous weeks at Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain.

Thanks for your suggestions. I always get good help on the forums.

USA
Level Contributor
2,075 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Itinerary and a question or two

Driving both ways on the GTTSR shouldn't be a problem - if any of the parking areas are full on your trip west, you can try to catch them on the way back. And driving in the evening will give you the opportunity for more wildlife sightings.

For hikes in the Lake McDonald area - look into the ranger led hikes (you can get the 2013 schedules on GNP's website now to get an idea of what will be offered this year). Avalanche Lake is a good one, but if you don't think you can make it, there are several easier guided hikes/walks that you could do.

Many Glacier deserves a full day, and Waterton is worth a visit, too. Maybe you can do the Virginia Falls hike on your GTTSR day, or after a trip to Waterton on Day 4.

2. Re: Glacier Itinerary and a question or two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2015, 05:16