We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bear spray necessary?

new york city
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
bear spray necessary?

If careful hikers, using common sense, (noisy talking esp around poorly sighted trails, avoiding solo hiking, obeying trail closure etc) do we really need to purchase a $50 item for each member of our group, which we will have to discard (we are returning on airplane) Or is this some ripoff/fear mongering by the sporting stores/tourist exploiters? Please advise, would love not to have this added expense. thanks all

USA
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bear spray necessary?

I think it's worth it. The fact that the park rangers carry it makes me think it's not a ripoff. You probably don't need a can for everyone if you will always be hiking together. Last year, I bought my can in Apgar for $40.

www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/bears.htm

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bear spray necessary?

Yes, worth it - just in case! If the situation arises, you'd much rather be prepared. This post (tripadvisor.com/…52554485) has some helpful ideas about where to get bear spray cheaper.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bear spray necessary?

Last time I flew to GNP I donated my bearspray to the Apgar backcountry rangers.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bear spray necessary?

You can rent a can for $5/day in Apgar next to the Montana House.

I live in Northwest Montana and carry bear spray when in the woods around my house.

Whenever I am in GNP I cary bear spray. Last year there was a mama bear with two cubs in my yard. This year the only bear I have seen was in Many Glacier last month.

In nearly a 1/4 century I have never sprayed a bear but have taken the safety off many times.

Do you were a seat belt when you drive, or a bike helmet?

If you don't want to buy or rent then I'd suggest taking the free Ranger Led Hikes.

However it is important to be aware that the LEADING cause of accidental death in GNP is drowning.

montana slow hiker

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bear spray necessary?

ABSOLUTELY carry bear spray! Even with all the precautions in the world, things can go wrong. Bear attacks are rare,but hikers carrying bear spray is partly the reason for that. If your going to be in groups for the most part,you probably don't all need to carry spray. When hubby and I hiked he always carried it. Just make sure whoever you trust with it has the sense to not carry it in their backpack. It won't do you much good in their. And you don't wanna be fumbling for it if Mr Brown is coming for you! Have a great time,carry spray,keeps us and the bears safer 😀

Edited: 09 June 2014, 05:25
buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: bear spray necessary?

Absolutely have bear spray!!! May not be necessary for every member of your group but there should at least be some with bear spray.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bear spray necessary?

One can, but yes

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bear spray necessary?

Last year, since we flew into Missoula, we picked up bear sprays at Walmart in Missoula for less than $50... I seem to remember they cost around $25 without holster and $35 with holster? It is insurance that we are not willing to live without. We made sure we have it within easy reach, and practiced taking it in hand and in position to spray including taking safety off before we hit the trails. (We put the safety back on after the practices.)

Just like SmittyMN, at the end of our trip, we donated to the backcountry rangers at Apgar. We are heading back to GNP again this year and will again buy bear sprays. We plan to donate at the Two Medicine ranger station after the trip. (We don't plan to be on the west side, so I hope the rangers would take the sprays in Two Medicine.) I count that expense as part of the total trip cost.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
62 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bear spray necessary?

Where can one purchase bear spray on the east side of the park? We're flying into Calgary FYI.

10. Re: bear spray necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:16