We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Many Glacier Lodge

Cleveland, Ohio
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Many Glacier Lodge

We are staying at Many Glacier Lodge the week of June 23. We are concerned about the drive from Kalispel airport because we are somewhat nervous, white- knuckled drivers. Both Going to the Sun Road and Route 89 seem a bit intimidating. (We will take a red-bus tour of the Sun Road our second day.) Is it possible to take Route 2 to Route 464 (?) and get there without adding too much time to the trip? Possibly it will be longer in miles, but may be less stressful. Thanks!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Many Glacier Lodge

You may have no choice as GTTSR may not be open yet due to snow. I believe 464 is Duck Lake Rd. I have not taken it. Have seen it recommended by others that don't want to drive Highway 89. 89 is not one to drive after dark, free range animals. It also has steep dropoffs and is windy. I think the time frame is about the same whether you drive south of the park or thru it.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Many Glacier Lodge

We drove Hwy 2 on our way to East Glacier and then took 89 the next day. If you drive it in the daytime they are fine. We would prefer the Going to the Sun Road route because of the beauty of it, but if time and fear are a factor use Hwy 2 and 89 only in the daytime since it is a new road for you. We did see animals during the day.

3. Re: Driving to Many Glacier Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park