We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Going To The Sun Road

Seattle
Level Contributor
131 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Going To The Sun Road

The last time I drove the GTTS was about 20 years ago. It was a spectacular drive and definitely the scariest for me. I remember steep drops with no railing along the edge of the road most of the way.

I just watched some short youtube videos of GTTS drive and it seems like there're a lot more railing along the edge of the road now. Are there railing along the edge of the road most of the way?

I am thinking of driving the GTTS again and it's most convenient for me to drive west to east.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

Try a red bus tour if driving it scares you. I can't compare it to 20 years ago, but there seemed to be several places with railings when we rode on it last year. There are still many places without railings. I would do the red bus tour so you can concentrate on the beauty of the surroundings as opposed to being afraid while driving. There were only a few sections that were scary but that was as a passenger in a car and I was looking over the ledges.

USA
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

I was there last year, and I don't remember any sections that didn't have a railing, ledge, or large rocks along the edge - I felt like there was always something between me and the edge of the road.

I did not find the GTTS Road scary at all, and I drove it both ways. But I understand it will be different for everyone. I thought Hwy 49 (Looking Glass Rd) to Two Medicine was a more nerve-wracking drive. I have also been up the Pikes Peak road and Mt. Washington Auto Road, and thought both were much scarier drives, however I was only a passenger for each.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

Driving West to East I do not recal any sections without something between you and the edge, granted the large truck in front of us did decide to test one of the sections of rock wall and almost climbed right over it. (Killed both passenger side tires and ripped up his front end real bad .... not thinking he was a happy camper with the towing bill).

Seattle
Level Contributor
131 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

Thanks to you all for your reply. I think I'll go ahead and drive. I like the flexibility of driving instead of taking the red tour bus.

Jackson, Ohio
Level Contributor
755 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

We are coming in August and my plan is to take the evening Red Bus tour then drive it the next day. That way I can see all the glory then worry about getting She Who Must Be Obeyed across it the next day, making the stops we want. My last trip across was in the 60's so my memories are truly faded.

Elkin, North...
Level Contributor
178 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

That's what we did last year also. We drove it in the morning and then took the Red Bus from Lake Mcdonald lodge that afternoon.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

They rebuilt the road several years ago & they tried to improve the retaining wall without making it intrusive.

If you google, the Glacier National Park Department has a really impressive & narrated hi def video of the drive. Make sure you get the hi-def one as the low def is not nearly as good .

They're also YouTube / GoPro videos of people driving motorcycle sports cars across, etc.

I'm on my phone, so this may or may not be there right video ...

Going to the Sun Road, Glacier National Park DVD …: http://youtu.be/ful4qN1J7tc

discovery.com/video-topics/adventure/nationa…

8. Re: Driving Going To The Sun Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 07:15