We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBNP in September

Talkeetna, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBNP in September

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are traveling to SE Alaska for the first week of September. My parents, from NH will be joining us for their first time in AK. We were considering Glacier Bay but I have read about the Park closing in early (first week?) of September. Does this mean most everything else will be closed in the area and in Gusatvus? If we were to go there, we would want to get a tour of the glaciers and I read that only the National Park is allowed to take boats into the Park area- are there not really any other glaciers outside the park boundary that tour guide services out of Gustavus visit? I basically would like an opinion on whether to still visit the Gustavus/Glacier Bay area for a day or two, or to just skip it and enjoy more time in other towns?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,485 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBNP in September

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think the park "closes" but perhaps some of the activities and the day boat tour stops operating. Is that what you mean? I would read directly on the park's website and not take 2nd hand info seriously. Get the FACTS :-).

>> I read that only the National Park is allowed to take boats into the Park area

Where the heck are you reading? That is absolutely and totally false! Cruise ships go there all the time - two a day usually. Private boats go there too - I know someone who went there in their private boat. I think you need to spend time on the Park's site and forget whatever else you are reading - no offense. www.nps.gov/glba.

Once you get accurate info, then you can make your decision.

Re: whale watching you can do that in Gustavus with Taz, maybe from Bartlett Cove with a park-contracted boat or also in Juneau.

Edited: 10 August 2013, 04:34
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBNP in September

Gustavus does not close down for the winter.......you can stay at any of the B&B's there, even if the lodge at Glacier Bay is closed for the season.......

Do be aware that the ferry only goes out to Gustavus twice a week and you might have to fly one way, if the schedule does not work for you......

What's the rest of your itinerary ?

Talkeetna, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: GBNP in September

Thanks. We are starting and ending in Juneau. 8 nights total. Thinking Skagway and/or Haines and then potentially Sitka as well. I don't know if three different cities on top of Juneau is too much. I'm thinking it is. We have the first 3 of the 8 nights already booked in Juneau. Flight out of Juneau is not until 8pm on the last day so it's not necessary we spend the last night in Juneau.

We want to rent kayaks or go on a guided kayak tour, possibly go fishing somewhere (half day would be fine) and like small day or half day hikes. Thinking Tracy arm one day too...

What do u think?

Talkeetna, Alaska
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: GBNP in September

So I did find out that the National Park IS INDEED the only day tour allowed into the park, and their last day is Sept 2 this year. Every other boat charter I am finding is a minimum of 3 nights. Does anybody know of any other day charters from Gustavus? If we go there, I want to be able to have an option to see the glaciers by boat in that respect.

Juneau, Alaska...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBNP in September

I live in Juneau. (just by way of intro). I think Juneau, Skagway, Haines, Sitka, and Glacier Bay is way too much for eight days. Talk about overload. Remember, you have to figure in travel time as well. Juneau, you can get to almost anytime with a minimum of time to get there. Alaska Air goes into Sitka a couple of times a day, but does not go into Haines or Skagway. You need to take a small plane into there--either scheduled or charter--chartered would be much more expensive, but would save you time.

I would suggest Juneau plus one or two other towns or one other town and Glacier Bay. Otherwise, I fear you will find yourself rushed and won't be able to enjoy any of it.

Winder, Georgia
Level Contributor
351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBNP in September

The following website lists the available vendors in Glacier Bay: www.nps.gov/glba/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

Last year I spent 4 nights in Gustavus, before continuing to Juneau & Wrangell. I also think 4 towns is too much for the activities you have in mind.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBNP in September

Katie, if you book a half day fishing trip out of Gustavus, it would also double as a whale watching trip......fishing for halibut is good in that location.....

Also if you choose to come to Haines, you could fish the Chilkoot River for dollies or trout......and the ChilKAT River for silver salmon.......

It has been pretty rainy here in SE Alaska this past week........be sure to bring your raingear !

8. Re: GBNP in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2014, 17:15