We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Southern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Looking for length of stay and itinerary advice. Family of 4 (mid 40's mom/dad, 15yo boy, 11yo girl) would like to visit GC this summer, coming from IL side of St, Louis metro area. Can only go latter part of July/first several days of August.

Booked one night at Kachina Lodge on Mon, July 31 - everything else in GCNP appears to be booked for that time frame. Considering driving but starting to lean toward flying. Would like to use small local airport and fly to Vegas but limited flights.

Flight leaving on Mon, July 31 to arrive in Vegas at 3pm. Wouldn't arrive to Kachina/GC until 8/9pm. Assuming we don't want to do last leg of drive in dark? (we've done in past in Black Hills, Smoky Mtns, Rocky Mtns and lived to tell) Departing flight on morning of Fri, Aug 4. Would give us 3 total days to visit area. Doesn't sound like enough?

Another flight leaves on Fri, July 28 to arrive in Vegas at 3pm. With depart Fri, Aug 4, would have total of 6 days to visit. Will we run out of things to do?

Kids are fit/adventurous, mom and dad are overweight but up for hiking just not too strenuous.

Interested in:

Spending 1-2 days at Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam w/ kids (since we're there), Sedona, hiking, open to something on water (not required), Four Corners, and I guess Page, AZ although I know nothing about it. I do have a disabled cousin in Tuscon that we could (maybe should) visit for an afternoon in there somewhere.

Starting to think I am not up for the cross country Griswald-like trek but not sure if flying Friday to Friday will be too much time.

Thanks in advance!

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
1. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Maximize your time by taking the Friday flight. You will NOT run out of things to do. Look at maybe GCNP 1 night, Page 1-2 nights, and Sedona and Tucson for the remaining time. Get flights in/out of Phoenix. Book flights, then come back here for more advice form the experts. They can help you work with your GC lodging date. Good job on Kachina

www.visitsedona.com

www.greatsedonahikes.com

Page has Antelope Canyon and Lake Powell, with a nice Colorado River float trip. Sorry, I don't have for that, google Page.

Edited: 03 May 2017, 18:14
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,831 posts
90 reviews
2. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

There are no small local airports to fly into except Flagstaff which does not connect through Las Vegas but connects through Phoenix.

Phoenix is 4 hours from GCNP, Las Vegas 5.

Tucson is 6 hours from GCNP. Not a day trip.

Southern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

The small airport I refer to is here in Illinois, 15 mins from our home. It flies to Vegas on limited days and I'd rather do that than use the St Louis int'l airport if I could. Thanks

Bastrop, Texas
Level Contributor
941 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Las Vegas would be the wrong airport if you want to go to Tucson. If you skip Tucson, GC, Sedona, Page works from Vegas almost as well as Phoenix. Another thing to consider out of Vegas could be GC, Page, Zion (possibly Bryce if lodging is available).

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
67,162 posts
250 reviews
5. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Four days isn't nearly enough time for everything on your list. In that small amount of time, GCNP and Sedona will fill your time completely. Arriving Grand Canyon National Park after 8PM from LV is a lousy plan as well.

Southern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

We booked flights! Flying to Vegas July 28th and flying out from Vegas on Aug 4. We will spend the night on Aug 3rd in Vegas, likely at an airport hotel for an early flight home the next day. Pricelining for a rental suv.

Have asked the Tuscon cousin to meet us in Sedona instead of driving there so Tuscon is no longer on the docket.

Other than the Kachina Lodge booked on the 31st, we have a blank slate. Now to dig into all the details! Very excited! Thanks for your comments so far, everyone!

Southern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Here's our itinerary so far:

Jul 28: Arrive to Vegas, stay at Tropicana on strip, attend show

Jul 29 Leave Vegas early - stop at Hoover Dam briefly (maybe do at the end of trip instead w/ dune buggy)

Get groceries/supplies at Super WalMart Kingman, AZ

Drive all day to Four Corners/Monument Valley (I know, I know all the driving. From the Midwest, I get it)

Attend a Sunset Backcountry Tour at MV

Stay at The View

Jul 30 Get up early and watch the Sunrise. Breakfast at View restaurant (purchased w/ room reservation)

Head to Page/Lake Powell area - still working out details will do something on water, 1-2 tours

Stay at Hampton Inn & Suites Page - Lake Powell

Jul 31 Spend most of day in Page area. Leave afternoon for GCNP. Start at Desert View, Dinner TBD

Stay at Kachina Lodge

Aug 1 Get up early and hike either part of Bright Angel or South Kaibab,

And this is where I need some help. I have a cancel-able room at the Holiday Inn Express,Tusayan for 8/1.

But I also just booked the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock for 8/1 and 8/2. I can adjust that reservation so I decided to just double-book for now before the rooms are gone.

Still need to finalize what we are doing in Page, GCNP and Sedona. Def know for sure we want to do Pink Jeep Broken Arrow and Slide Rock in Sedona and hopefully at least one good meal.

What time do we need to be out of GCNP to get to Sedona without any issue with tricky roads at night? Thanks!

Edited: 08 May 2017, 19:54
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,162 posts
250 reviews
8. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

You need to depart Grand Canyon National Park at least 2 hours before sunset to reach Sedona safely. Give it 3-4 hours and you'll have time to stop in Oak Creek Canyon and at Slide Rock SP on the way.

If you only allow the 2 hours, skip Oak Creek Canyon by following I-17 all the way south to exit #298 for Hwy 179 to Sedona. The Hilton Resort is one of the first places you'll get to.

Southern...
Level Contributor
31 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Trying to decide on activities on Lake Powell/GCNP

On Sun, 7/30 will be coming from The View driving to Page.

In Page plan to do the river float, lower antelope/kayak tour on 7/30 & 7/31

Then after completing activities will drive to GCNP for the first time. Would like to do bike rentals w/ the shuttle drop off/pick up on Hermit Road but may not have enough time. Stay overnight at Kachina. Plan to do South Kaibab hike on 8/1. Also would like to do some of the rim trail at some point and Desert View Drive. Would leave for Sedona by 5:30p on 8/1. That's just a little over 24 hours at the actual GC.

Am I trying to cram too much into my time there?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,162 posts
250 reviews
10. Re: GC Trip from St Louis, MO area

Yes, you're trying to do too much. You probably will not accomplish it all.

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...