We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

Is the convenience, views, and accomodations in the lodges inside these parks worth the extra efforts to try to get cancellations? I know they are "rustic" and that can have an appeal, but that also means they are lacking in some of the amenities you usually get at those price levels. Is the trade off worth it?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

I can't say about Bryce (since the Lodge was closed for the winter when we were there) or the North Rim (I haven't been there) but at Zion, we were glad we chose to stay in Springdale which the small town right at the entrance to Zion. There are lots of accommodation options in Springdale so you may want to have a look at some of the prices compared to the rooms in the park.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

Just noticed that we're in the AZ forum. You may be better off posting this in the UT forum in case some locals check out that one and not this forum.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

I can answer your concerns about the North Rim. To me, it was worth it staying right inside the park. Yes, they are a bit on the rustic side, but the views are so worth it!! If you get the chance to stay inside the park, by all means take it!! The nearest lodging outside the park is approx 40 miles away on the North Rim side. The sunsets are truly one of natures works of art!!!

Enjoy

SJG

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,097 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

I laways choose to stay inside the parks if I can get the lodging. The differnece between walking to the viewpoints and main lodging in the morning, and having to get up, pack the car and drive away to get there is more than worth it to me. Same at night. After witnessing a spectacular sunset or howling at the moon , I'd rather stroll back to my cabin than have to drive.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

At Zions NP it really is not that much of an advantage seeing as how the other accomodations are literally on the park boundary. We recently stayed at the lodge for the first time (and I would not call it rustic, just basic) and did enjoy not having to travel to be right there. It is not so essential here though.

However that is not the same for North Rim or Bryce. There really are no other options at North Rim if you want to stay more than one day. The next nearest accomodation is Jacobs Lake (as has been stated about 40 miles). The next after that in Fredonia another 32. We always camp there, it is such a wonderful summer getaway. And being there as the sun goes down and comes up is truly a wonder.

At Bryce you have the Park Lodge or Ruby's Inn just outside the boundary. Again I would chose one of the two. Otherwise you are driving to get to the park and back and yes the convienience to me is worth it. (Again we have only camped, and enjoyed that, however I will be finally visiting Ruby's Inn spring break.)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

I amend my reply. There is one other lodging option between Jacobs Lake and the North Rim: Kaibab Lodge. I believe they were just outside the park boundary. Their website is not updated since 2006 so it is possible they are closed??? I'd still stay at the rim.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

Thank you all for your points of view. I will continue to see about cancellations.

8. Re: North Rim, Zion, Bryce Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 08:24
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...