We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon without a Car

Chard, UK
13 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon without a Car

Hi -

I am looking to visit the Grand Canyon in July as part of an extended trip of America.

The problem is I am only 20 and will therefore not have a Car. My current plan is to fly from Austin to Las Vegas and then get to the Canyon from there.

What is the best thing people suggest??

Henry

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

There are several bus tours from La Vegas to GCNP. You can find them online. Prices vary of course. Look for an option that allows you to stay overnight. The travel time is 5.5 hours each way which gives little time at the South Rim. There are also air tours.

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

Another option is to fly into Phoenix instead of Las Vegas. Grayline Tours offers day tours and extended trips to GCNP from Phoenix.

http://www.graylinearizona.com/index.cfm

That gives you better options to GCNP than from Las Vegas. If you really want to see Las Vegas as well, you could easily fly from Phoenix to Las Vegas.

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

I believe you can also get the train there, you might have to get one to Williams or Flagstaff and change there. Can't remember the exact details but check out www.amtrak.com

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,535 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

If you get to the South Rim on your own, such as taking the train from Williams, the shuttle that gets you from site to site is very convenient and you can hike between stops along the rim. It is very pedestrian friendly once you are there. I wish we had the truly wonderful train system you have in the UK, but we are just very car-crazy here. Enjoy your visit!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

amtrak doesn't go to the grand canyon. Its the Grand Canyon Rail Road from WIlliams that goes. www.thetrain.com Also Open Road Tours picks up from Phx airport, Flagstaff, WIlliams and the GC S rim www.openroadtours.com

tucson az
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

Dragonflylady is right about Amtrak, which also doesn't provide service to/from Las Vegas or Phoenix by train to Williams or Flagstaff. I did find an overnight tour package from Las Vegas which is reasonable in price considering that it includes air trip and lodging:

lasvegasgrandcanyontour.com/air/grand-canyon…

New York, NY
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

Hi,

I just checked out the http://www.qtlv.com/ web site - and checked the better business bureau - and although their rating is "satisfactory" - they have unresolved complaints - and there is an additional statement about whether or not they have a valid license.

from bbb:

As of 3/21/2006, the Bureau has been UNABLE to confirm this company has a valid local business license for the locale in which they operate. IF A CONSUMER DOES BUSINESS WITH AN UNLICENSED FIRM, THEY DO SO AT THEIR OWN RISK.

-pinkyblue

8. Re: Grand Canyon without a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 09:20