We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

We arrive Phoenix on 14th August and havd to be in Montrose CO on 23rd which gives us about 9 days. We planned to take tha kids (12 and 7) to Rawhide then travel up to Sedona and GC, before leaving for Montrose.

Initial plans are

14th August Phoenix - Rawhide

15th Drive to Sedona

16th Sedona

17th ?

18th ?

19th Drive to GC

20th GC

21st Leave GC to ?

22nd ?

23rd Depart to Montrose for family wedding

Help filling in the gaps would be great

Should we fit in the Petrified forest?

Or a jeep tour in Sedona ( even though we will be paying for a car hire which we won't use that day)

And any thoughts on what to do/see between GC and Montrose? Do we need longer for this leg of the journey, in which case we'll lose a day before the grand canyon.

Anyway, I think that will do for now.

Many thanks

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
56,425 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Plan to base yourself in Sedona for 15-19. There will be plenty to do including a jeep tour. Allow a half day for that. Take one day to explore Oak Creek Canyon, another to see Out of Africa in Camp Verde and maybe add in the Verde Canyon RR or some time in Jerome. A third day can be enjoyed seeing sights and hiking points around Sedona including the Chapel of the Holy Cross, Bell Rock, Red Rock State Park, Boynton Canyon etc.

When you leave GC I suggest driving up through Monument Valley and on to Moab, Utah. A side trip along the way could include Canyonlands Nat'l Park, and the next day in Moab should include Arches Nat'l Park as well. Moab is a great place for mountain biking or an ATV ride if you and the kids could enjoy that.

Finally on to Montrose on the 23rd. It will be about a 4 hr drive from Moab.

This route does not include the Petrified Forest, but I think you will find it much more interesting and enjoyable. My BW and I just returned to Sedona from Denver via this route and we always love it.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Hi

I would not drive to Petrified Forest going to Montrose, Co. It will be a detour and you can drive a more scenic route. It also depends on what you want to visit between Grand Canyon SR and Montrose.

My advice would be:

8/14: Phx(Rawhide)

8/15: drive I 17 to Montezuma's Castle for a visit., to Jerome for a visit and to Sedona

8/16: All day Sedona

8/17: Another day Sedona,

8/18: Drive from Sedona through Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff for a visit and drive to Garnd Canyon SR. You can take us 180, a beautiful but curvy road, or drive to Williams first by I 40 and north on 64 to Grand Canyon SR. (easier but a bit longer)

8/19: All day GCSR

8/20: Drive to Page taking az64 to Desert View. Exit to the east entrance and to Cameron for a visit to the Trading Post and drive us89 to Page. The kids will love all that water.

8/21: All day Page. Visit Glen Canyon Dam, maybe take a boat ride or visit Antelope Slot Canyon east of Page

8/22: Drive from Page to Monument Valley and visit this western icon. Night in Monument Valley or in Kayenta.

8/23. Return to us160 and drive east to Four Corners. Not much to see, but the kids will like the place and put hands and feet in 4 states at one time. Then drive to Cortez and co145 to Telluride and to Montrose. From Cortez to Montrose is mostly a mountain drive and take care.

In august my suggestion is to make reservations now. It will be very hot and busy at most places so never forget to bring water.

Many more things to see in this awesome part of the country but I tried not to overload you re the young kids.

I most certainly would not recommend a one days drive GC-Montrose.

Tet

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,997 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd choose Flagstaff over Sedona! Lots to do and see - Lowell Observatory, Sunset Crater, Snowbowl and chair lift, Museum of Northern Arizona (may not have name correct) and more.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
Level Contributor
4,483 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

One of my favorite day trips is certainly to the little town of Jerome, an old mining town in the mountains between Sedona and Flagstaff. It is full of charm, nice shops and quaint dining spots, lots of AZ history. It is hot here in the summer, but you are a bit higher in altitude so you will feel some coolness in the mornings. Sedona itself is a beautiful community, shops and galleries will be fun, but the scenery is nothing at all like you have seen in the UK, even though your country is truly lovely, but Sedona is truly different and unique. I agree with other posters about the Petrified Forest...there really is no forest, it is wood that has petrified into stone, a great thrill for geologists but not for me anyway. Your kids would love the jeep tour, it can be adventurous and a thrill ride over the rock formations and back roads. Flagstaff is also fun, and if the chair lift is running up the ski mountain, take it. Also enjoy the Black Barts Steak House restaurant, which is staffed by waiters from the No. Az Univeristy theater dept, who sing and dance as they serve your meal. Very unique and fun. Have a lovely visit.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Hi Gilly,

We seem to know the same places!

Your children will love rawhide. Mock gunfights on the streets!!

You also must go to Tombstone. Still looks the same as it did in time of Wyatt Earp. OK corral and the bird cage saloon. Mock gunfight here too

Its only a few hours drive down from phoenix. well worth it. Also the boot hill grave yard. You'll have fun reading the grave stones.

Arizona
Level Contributor
284 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Just a couple of suggestions for things your kids might enjoy: August will be warm to say the least, take the kids to Slide Rock State park in Oak Creek Canyon to cool off. I absolutely LOVED going there when I was a kid, one of my best memories. pr.state.az.us/Parks/parkhtml/sliderock.html

Also, I don't know any kids who wouldn't enjoy a day at Out of Africa in Camp Verde, as a previous poster mentioned. It's not your typical zoo. http://www.outofafricapark.com/

I agree that you would also enjoy the things previous posters have mentioned in Flagstaff and Jerome--Jerome is as unique a place as I have ever been. Enjoy!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

17th---Back track and do a day of Jerome perhaps do the Verde Valley Rail ROad. Stay in Flagstaff Or visit Montezuma's Castle and Well.

18th--Flagstaff visit Lowell Observatory, Museum of Northern Az,Riordan Mansion, downtown Flagstaff. Or a day trip to the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest...

21st drive to Monument Valley stay overnight somewhere near by or drive back to Flagstaff.

22 day trip to Page to visit Antelope Canyon (aka slot canyon)

I do recommend the www.pinkjeep.com tours. They always do a good job.

UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Many thanks for your help. I'll study your info and report back hwne we're a bit closer to finallising everything.

bikies_tour - you get everywhere. As we seem to have made the same holiday choices so far, where else in the world would you recommend we visit?

Chat soon

GillyMcgilly

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

Hee Hee Gilly, isn't it funny.

My favourite part of the world (so far) is Australia. Absolutely heaven.

But I have a lot to do yet, had a few quiet years when children were smaller, didn't do much long haul. But we are ready to go again!!

You seem to do lots of long haul. Anywhere else you recommend also?

Isn't the world fabulous!

B

10. Re: arriving phoenix for 9 nights - help with itinery please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 20:16