We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GCNP in February 2019 during road works

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
GCNP in February 2019 during road works

My husband an I are planning on staying 3 nights at GCNP in February 2019.

I noticed EL Tovar is out due to renovation works. This leaves the other options.

When looking at those, notifications are everywhere about the road works and roads potentially being closed off. Should I be worried about that and opt for one of the motels in Tusayan instead?

We will be driving our own car (btw, should we opt for 4WD?)

Thanks for your wisdom:-)

Mentioned in this post
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,240 Reviews
Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
Special Offer
Grand Canyon All-American Helicopter...
6,666 Reviews
US$400 per adult
US$520
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
599 Reviews
US$277 per adult
US$299
Special Offer
Deluxe Grand Canyon South Rim...
354 Reviews
US$330 per adult
US$369
4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GCNP in February 2019 during road works

I would stay inside the park at one of the lodging options. There are 5 managed by Xanterra www.grandcanyonlodges.com and one (Yavapai) by another company. www.visitgrandcanyon.com Any of these would be best.

Mentioned in this post
Yavapai Lodge
Yavapai Lodge
3,036 Reviews
Victoria
Level Contributor
164 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GCNP in February 2019 during road works

I was there this past February. This must be the time of year for road and building maintenance as there were many roads and building under construction.

That being said, there was no problem getting around. It is a quieter month in the park. Parking was easy and the shuttle buses take you all around to the different sites.

Be aware that it can be very cold in Feb, it was -5 Celsius with a cold wind making it feel much colder.

As for the 4WD vehicle, no one can predict with 100% accuracy but it is not likely going to be required.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
64,865 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GCNP in February 2019 during road works

Always stay inside the park if you can. Don’t fret about road works.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
982 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GCNP in February 2019 during road works

The park is undergoing extensive road work right now--it's best done during the off season to impact as few people as possible. The detours are very well marked and easy to follow. If road work is still an ongoing issue in 2019 it will impact you minimally--the biggest change I saw during a recent visit was that some parking along the road was temporarily blocked off. So no big deal--in any case, you won't have any trouble finding parking in February. Definitely DO NOT stay in Tusayan in an attempt to avoid any possible road work--you'd still be exposed to it when you enter the park to visit the viewpoints and attractions.

The lodgings in-park all have similar amenities. El Tovar, Kachina, Thunderbird and Bright Angel are right on the rim. Maswick is 1/4 mile away, Yavapai about 1/2 mile from the rim. Book whatever configuration fits your requirements and budget. My husband and I prefer the cabins at Bright Angel, but that's just us. However, you are probably aware that lodgings fill up quickly, so you should make a decision and book soonest.

Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Tusayan
Tusayan
Arizona
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
3,240 Reviews
Kachina Lodge
Kachina Lodge
1,007 Reviews