We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dining at Cameron Trading Post

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dining at Cameron Trading Post

I haven't seen much written about the restaurant at Cameron

Trading Post. How is it?? I just thought that if we were at the

east side of the south rim, we might like to eat at the Trading Post.

How far is the trading post from the east entrance?

Please let me know what you had to eat!

Thank you for your help.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

Cameron Trading Post is about a half hour from the east gate of GCNP. The food is nothing special although the Navajo Taco is a popular and unique menu item. They serve a lot of ice cream too. The place is historic and fun to vsit, but don't expect a gourmet experience.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,780 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

I call these type of places road food restaurants and they are all over the west. Not bad places, yet not always the best! You get a decent meal, fun shopping and ok prices. Try the Navajo Taco or the Navajo Stew. I have had many Nav. Taco's not my favorite, but will do. Anything you can have green chile on is good!

Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

We just ate at the Cameron Trading Post 2 weekends ago; breakfast and lunch. Breakfast was very good: steak and eggs and very reasonable price wise. Lunch was good as well. More importantly the place was extremely clean and everyone there was very friendly. On your travel there you will get to see the Little Colorado River Gorge and the Suspension bridge that was built in the 19-teens.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

Navajo taco was very good, but you might want to try the small one. Here is what it is:

Indian fry bread

Refried beans

ground beef

lettuce

tomato

shredded cheese

I think chopped onion

add your own salsa

very good, filling

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

Thanks to you all for your respones. I now have an idea about

what to expect.

Wishing you all a great summer and safe travels!

Southernn California
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

we ate there last weekend. We also stayed there after visiting the south rim and the eastern side of the Grand Canyon. It did not take more than half hour from the watch tower on the eastern side. The rooms were nice enough especially since you are in the middle of nowhere. Our dinner was great. My husband had the Navajo taco, their speciality, served on the native frybread. I had navajo stew (beef) very good, which came with the frybread and honey...it is a little oasis in the desert...pretty old brick building...lots of green trees ad shrubs. the staff was great. Wonderful HUGE trading post (gift shop). I definately recomend it. THEN go up through Monument Valley, it is worth addig to your trip....SPECTACULAR

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,584 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

Even though the food is described as "Navajo," it's not really native food. "Navajo tacos" are very common and are often eaten by Navajos, but they are a modern concoction which involves a bread dough which is patted flat and fried in hot grease then topped with various items such as scrambled hamburger, shredded beef, chopped tomatoes, beans, cheese, etc., sort of like a tostado on white bread. True "Navajo stew" would be made with lamb or mutton, or even squirrel or road kill. These are more just a type of "tourist attraction."

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

Mmmm...roadkill! Too bad they can't serve it at the roadside diners. One of my buddies butchered a freshly run down javelina and made some barbeque and some chili. It was awesome!

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

when we worked construction, we would hit Javies coming into work before dawn out in Fountain Hills, and the Tonga and Maori crews would do pit roasted pig!

Was almost worth going to work for !!

Camies Post tacos are worth stopping for , but the mex in Tuba is worth driving for !!

10. Re: dining at Cameron Trading Post

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 02:19