We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

Dear all,

Could I have some comments and suggestions.

We are planning a trip for late sept/oct 08 to the GrandCanyon area. We will fly into and out of las Vegas as this is where max jet flies to from our airport and we have no desire to navigate the M25 around London to go to Heathrow or Gatwick Airports.

We are used to drving in the USA , we have just come back from a 2 week drving tour of Alaska that we planned ourselves. So drives of upto 3- 5 hours are ok. We have checked out a couple of travel guides already and posts on this web site to get a draft itinery but would like some help on distances/time to drive and suggestions of things to do.

We are not hard core hikers but trails of upto 5 miles are good, ie we are very unlikely to hike the trail from the south rim to the north rim, but are likely to do loope trails, like fantastic scenery, landscape photography, wildlife and absorbing a different way of life ( this excludes musuems though), probably raft floats rather than full on rafting ( this part is a compromise). Generally being outside and interesting places to see.

Anyway I can't decide which way round we should go, is there any preference? In general we like to stay at places 2 nights but this is not essential, and drive 1/2 day with an activity and then spend the next day somewhere.( hope that makes sense)

Here's a sample of what we have sketched out so far:

Day 1 fly in LV arrive 4:30 pm

Day 2 drive to Zion NP - Stay ?

Day 3 Bryce canyon. Is there somewhere we could stay for night 2 and 3 which would be good to access both Zion and Bryce Canyon NP.

Day 4 Drive to Page

Day 5 Activities around Page

Day 6 Drive to Kayenta

Day 7 Monument valley - stay Kayenta

Day 8 Drive to Mesa Verde stay ?

Day 9 Mesa Verde NP stay ?

Day 10 Drive to Chinle ( Jeep tour of NP)

Day 11 Drive across Painted Desert to Grand Canyon South rim

Day 12 Grand Canyon south rim

Day 13 Back to LV

Day 14 LV

Day 15 LV

Day 16 Fly home 7:30pm

Day 17 Arrive 4:30pm

Day 18 start planning 2009 trip!

Many thanks for any comments

Numbereight

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

I would go clockwise. It saves the best for last. You need more time in the GCSR, two full days.

Day 1 overnight Vegas. Day 2 and 3 I would stay Zion 2 nights. Lots of hiking opportunities on all levels in Zion. Day 4 Drive to Bryce in A.M., tour, overnight there, Day 5 Drive early to Page, tour, overnight there and tour again in morning of Day 6 (depends on what you have planned there as to whether you need two nights ) drive to Monument Valley for a sunset tour and then spend night in Kayenta for Day 6.

Day 7 you should be on your way to Mesa Verda, I don't know if you need two nights there, Casa will likely respond to that.

Even if you do, you have freed up enough time to enjoy the best of the best the GCSR, of course that is IMO.

It gets hot in the bottom of the canyon in Chinle. You might want to get there early enough to take a morning tour of the canyon. Private jeep tours, as opposed to large group tours, may offer more flexibility with regard to timing.

Also, try to get lodging inside the parks. You have enough time to do that. Nice trip. Enjoy.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

Sounds like a great trip. i would do you plan as written with a few modifications. 2 full days at GC as mentioned would be better.

Day 1 Arrive, enjoy Vegas for the night.

Day 2 Either stay inside the park or in Springdale UT. Many nice places to stay. Spend the day enjoying Zion.

Day 3 See the Sunrise in Zion. Drive up to Bryce canyon. Not sure if there is a place midway. I would stay at each park.

Day 4 Drive to Page maybe 3 hours. Enjoy Lake Powell the rest of the day.

Day 5 Activities around Page

Day 6 Drive to Kayenta maybe 2 hours. Maybe stop at Navajo National Monument on the way. Visit Monument Valley, this same day, drive on to Mexican. Stay in Kayenta this night

Day 7 Drive to Mesa Verde, about 2.5 hours. Maybe stop at the 4 Corners Monument on the way. Visit Mesa Verde the rest of the day. By late Sep/Oct Wetherill Mesa area of Mesa Verde will be closed, but the main areas will still be open. Visit Spruce Tree House, Cliff Palace, FarView Ruin and the Mesa Top Loop Road. Stay in Cortez.

Day 8 Visit Mesa Verde again if you did not finish. Also you may want to visit the Anasazi Heritage Center in Dolores, a few other ruins can be seen from there.Stay in Cortez.

Day 9 Drive to Chinle (2.5 hours or so) Take jeep tour. Stay in Chinle. You may also want to visit Hubbell Trading Post.

Day 10 Are you planning on seeing Petrified Forest National park or are your plans to drive through the Hopi Mesas? Either would be an interesting drive to Grand canyon area. Stay in Grand Canyon area.

Day 11 Grand Canyon enter the park via the East Entrance. Maybe see Wupatki and Sunset Crater along the way.

Day 12 Grand Canyon south rim

Day 13 Back to LV. See Hoover Dam along the way.

Day 14 LV

Day 15 LV

Day 16 Fly home 7:30pm

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

Day 15

I would take a drive to Death Valley and if possible I encourage you to stay overnight. If you arrive the end of October it should be a nice time for a visit

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

Hi Places how are you?

I will send you an email.

sawbridgeworth uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

Hi thanks for all the comments, I am working through the suggestions and looking up some of the places you have mentioned.

thanks

Number eight

6. Re: Draft itinery - still cannot decide whether to go clockwise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2009, 21:20