We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

We will be about 1.5 day at Grand Canyon (staying in Maswik Lodge). Was wondering how should we spend time?

As per research I did....was thinging driving on East/West Rim drives from Yaki Point to Pima Point (with stoping on vistas) and maybe go about 1 mi down Bright Angel trail.

Is it OK or I'm missing something?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

This is a perfectly good plan for 1.5 days. You might also consider going to see the IMAX movie in Tusayan, the community just outside the park. It's shown every hour on the 1/2 hour from 10.30 AM to 6.30 PM (assuming you're visiting in the next few weeks?).

In addition to doing a short hike on the Bright Angel Trail, take some time to explore the historic hotels, gift shops & such inside Grand Canyon Village, such as the El Tovar Hotel, Hopi House, Bright Angel Lodge, Kolb Studio, Lookout Studio, etc. These feature some very interesting architecture, particularly the designs of Mary Jane Colter, one of America's first famous woman architects.

Don't know how you feel about flying, but an airplane or helicopter flight is an exciting way to see a lot in a short time. These operate year-round weather permitting.

Have fun!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,216 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

Make sure you visit the Visitor Centers, maybe listen to a ranger talk. Enjoy the GC at sunrise and sunset, beautiful times! Have meal or snack (or drink) at the El Tovar Hotel. Wonderful historic hotel.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

Congrats A.!!!

Tet

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

HALLO! but... what about the weather?? Maybe it'll be snowy and no nice sunset or sunrise to watch..

I also be there for just 1.5 day on next 25-26 december...

I'm worried about too much snow..

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

Snow is a very real possibility at that time of year, although our winter so far has been a bit milder than in years past. Usually, though, the roads are kept fairly well plowed in the event of heavy snow, and the canyon looks beautiful once the clouds clear - best photo ops of the year!

I would start monitoring the weather right now. Many weeather sites offer 10- and 15-day forecasts. Use zip code "86023" or airport code "GCN" as your reference. If it looks as though the weather might be risky on the days that you're there, you can usually cancel your hotel with only a small penalty as long as you do so at least 48 hours out (though it varies from place to place). For road conditions, monitor www.az511.com

Como, Italy
Level Contributor
31 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

Thanks Kbot. I'll do that!

7. Re: South Rim for 1.5 days (dec 21-22). What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 11:23