We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - Can't Decide

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary - Can't Decide

I'm asking for any help I can get. I haven't been to Arizona since I was a kid so I don't remember much. My husband, 10 yr old and I are flying into Phoenix on Thurs, March 20 staying somewhere??? for the night then we have the night reserved in the Grand Canyon on the 21st. From there, I'm thinking maybe the Lake Powell/Antelope Canyon area then possibly going into the Navajo Reservation and working our way back down to the Sedona area. We plan on staying to Arizona until Fri or Sat, March 28 or 29th. Is it possible to do an itinerary like this without going crazy? We would like to fit in as much as possible and we like to do things on our own. Only tours if we can go on our own. So what do you suggest? Where would you stay on a small-moderate budget? We need nothing fancy. Where would you eat? And what would you without a doubt go see? Thanks for any help, Rhonda

PS - Are the Dinosaur Tracks worth a visit?

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,097 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

Leave PHX early and get to the GCNP as fast as you can. Enjoy what's left of the day there and especially the sunset. The Arizona Room is a nice restaurant at the rim, without being terribly expensive. If you really want to stay on a tighter budget, then check out the cafeteria at Yavpai or Maswick, but hey, you're at the Grand Canyon! Then spend as much of the next day touring the rim as you choose to, and then give yourself about 3 hours to get to Page. Do some sightseeing around the dam and Lake Powell. Maybe have dinner at Antelope Marina. I like the Marriott in Page, but there are other places that you can stay for less $.

Plan to see Antelope Canyon early the next day and then head back south via the reservation if you choose. There's really not much to see or do out there. I prefer going back down Hwy 89 the same way you came up from GC. Maybe do a side trip down to Lees Ferry and Navajo Bridge. Or take a ride out to Wupatki just north of Flagstaff or maybe Walnut Canyon just east of Flagstaff. Either way, try to make it down to Sedona for the night. You can find plenty of affordable places to stay in Sedona and base yourselves for the rest of the week. The Sky Ranch Lodge is a favorite and offers great value and location.

And Sedona has loads of dining spots where you can eat on a budget. Some of my favorites are the Hideaway, A Pizza Heaven, and the CoffeePot. Also the Airport restaurant located close to Sky Ranch is great.

I haven't been to see the dinosaur tracks. It's a long way to go, but if you're into that, check it out, and report back to us.

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

Thanks for all the great information. In Sedona, I found the Sedona Motel and the Sugarloaf Lodge to be reasonably priced. Do you know it they are decent? They seem to have great reviews of tripadvisor.

Ohio
Level Contributor
117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

Are the Monument Valley, 4 Corners and Canyon de Chelly not worth the visit? Is the Navajo Reservation route a long trip back down to Sedona area?

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,966 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

How about this:

March 20th - Travel from Ohio to Phoenix, overnight in Phoenix

March 21st - Drive to Grand Canyon South Rim (about 4.5 hours), overnight at GC

March 22nd - Sightseeing at GC, spend another night

March 23rd - drive from GC to Monument Valley (about 3.5 hours), via East Rim Drive of GC, sightseeing in MV, overnight at Goulding's, Kayenta or Tuba City

March 24th - drive from MV to Page (about 2.5 hours), visiting Antelope Canyon en route, overnight in Page

March 25th - sightseeing in Lake Powell area (possible activities: Glen Canyon Dam tour, half-day river float trip, boat tour on lake, scenic flight), spend 2nd night in Page

March 26th - drive from Page/Lake Powell to Sedona (about 3.5 hours), stop by Wupatki/Sunset Crater NM's en route, spend night in Sedona

March 27th - sightseeing in Sedona, spend 2nd night in Sedona

March 28th - drive from Sedona to Phoenix, head back home

Regarding places to eat on a budget, at the Grand Canyon the cafeterias are a good option, the Bright Angel coffee shop is good and reasonably priced too. Maybe treat yourself one night to the Arizona Room or the El Tovar.

Driving from Grand Canyon to Monument Valley, stop at the Cameron Trading Post for late breakfast or lunch - they're famous for a dish called the "Navajo Taco," which is a piece of fry bread topped with beef, beans, cheese, lettuce, chili peppers, tomatoes, sour cream... unless you're really hungry, order the mini.

In Page/Lake Powell, there's a variety of fast food chains and independently owned restaurants which are reasonably priced. My favorites are Fiesta Mexicana and Zapata's (Mexican), the Mandarin Gourmet (Chinese), Slacker's and the Glen Canyon Steakhouse(American), Pepper's and the Dam Bar and Grille(Southwest), and Strombolli's (Italian).

Hope that helps.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,097 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

Monument Valley and Canyon de Chelle are worth the trip but will require an extra day and night for each. It's a long way to go. Maybe pick one, (I'd pick MV) but as I say, then you need to book a room in Kayenta. Personally, I think there's more to see and do from a base in Sedona, than to be spending so much time on the road to get to the more remote places. Here you can do Jerome, lots of Indian Ruins, of course Oak Creek Canyon, lots of hikes, even a day trip to Prescott.

In Sedona, the Sedona Motel always looks a little better than the Sugarloaf Lodge (to me) although I've never actually been in a room in either place. If you can afford the difference in price, go for the Sky Ranch.

I know I promote Sedona very heavily in this forum. It's partly because I live here, and mostly because I love it so much. But honestly, almost 5 million people come here every year, and most stay for 3 days or more, and a tremendous number of those come back again and again. It's such a beautiful place, and you just can't imagine until you see it first hand. And there really are a lot of things to see and places you can visit, and things to do while you're here. If you're like many of the others, you'll plan to return and expand your vacation on the second trip. Include MV or CdeC or Bryce or Zion. Northern AZ and southern Utah are awesome places, but it's a huge area and you just can't get to all the places in a short time. And once you do get there, you need to spend a good amount of time to make the visits worth while.

6. Re: Itinerary - Can't Decide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...