We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

Houston
2 posts
Save Topic
I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

I am planning on heading to the GC this summer with my family, which includes kids, ages 9 and 11. Went to Glacier Natl. Park last summer and loved it. Is the shuttle bus system the same ? I would imagine it is.

Anyway, cannot get reservations in the park, so am staying in Williams. I was thinking about Tusayan...any thoughts on which is better?

Want to do some day hiking. Nothing very strenuos...any ideas?

After GC, am thinking of spending time in Sedona. Thinking 3 days in GC, 2 in Sedona. Think this is a good idea?

So many options, I just can't get it together!! We are driving from Houston, so will be hoping to see something along the way. Any thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Lisa

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,785 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

GCNP has a shuttle system in the central GC Village area and to the west rim overlooks to Hermit's Rest. These run from sunrise until sunset basically every day on a frequent basis.

Tusayan could be a better place to stay as it is at the park entrance. CAncellations often happen in the park lodging, so check frequently if you want to stay there.

When you arrive at the park, you will get a comprehensive brochure plus a newsletter. All the hiking opportunities will be listed. The "non-strenuous" would be the rim trail which you can take as much or as little as you wish, and get on and off of shuttles.

Time for GCNP and Sedona sound great.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

If you cannot get lodging inside the park, tusayan is the next best. Several of the hotels there have pools (small ones), which your kids might like.

It is a short drive from there into the park and the walking trails.

Catlin, Illinois
Level Contributor
834 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

Hi lisatx04,

If you want to stay in the park, call Xanterra, daily (888) 297-2757. Cancelations do not make it to the web quickly. If you can not get reservations in the park, then I would stay at Tusayan.

While you are at the park get your children in the Junior Ranger Program. More info: www.nps.gov/grca/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

Hiking along the rim is easy.

Sedona is a great idea. Slide Rock State would be fun for all. And also take a Pink Jeep.

Enjoy your trip!

GA
Level Contributor
557 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

I would stay in Tusacayn instead of Williams.I stayed at Quality Inn but they don't have a pool but a hot tub

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

"You are driving from Houston..."

Things to see on your way. How long do you want to take for this drive? There're so many places to visit between Houston and GCNP. Please tell us.

Tet

Jerome, AZ
Level Contributor
799 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

Williams is a long drive, but there is a small downtown (route 66) strech, and some good red meat joints. and the flintstone village on the approach, and the Caverns another 50 miles down the road.

Would change to 2 days Grand, 3 Sedona.

Hard to keep the kids amused with a big hole in the ground, and no hose.

hamilton Ontario
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

Williams is nice but for closeness to the park I'd stay in Tusayan. Look for a hotel with a pool, something for the kids to do in the evening.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

There is a nice KOA with cabins, swimming pool, volley ball, go carts and other activites just outside of Williams between Williams and Flagstaff on I-40. Very clean property, nice owners and a good reputation. The kids will definately enjoy a stay there. Oh they have BBQ's durring the summer and hay rides. Just a different alterative. Not your typical motel stay.

http://www.koa.com/where/az/03211/

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,737 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

I would also vote for Tusayan and I know there is still some availability for summertime. The Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn has an on-site family play center with a 6-lane bowling alley, pool tables, video games, etc. There are four other hotels in Tusayan (Quality Inn, Red Feather Lodge, Holiday Inn Express, Grand Hotel) too and if you're staying there you can still walk over to the Squire and bowl, etc. The IMAX Theatre is also just up the street from all the Tusayan hotels, and that is a fun movie with white water rafting footage, and footage taken from a helicopter back when they could still fly below the canyon rim.

As for day hiking, I would stick to the rim trail in Grand Canyon Village if you want to keep it non-strenuous. The inner canyon is very hot in summertime. Maybe go just a short distance down the Bright Angel Trail to First Tunnel and turn back.

10. Re: I am sooo overwhelmed!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 00:19