We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

I'm thinking about the following trip with my two kids (9 and 12) and would like some feedback and suggestions. Going April 5-12:

Arrive LV, visit Hoover Dam, back to LV to experience the Strip...stay one night.

Drive to Zion and Bryce for the next two nights. Considering hiking in Zion (suggestion?) and maybe Horseback ride in and around Bryce.

Drive to GC South Rim - suggested route? Spend two nights at the HI Express. One day hike down.

Spend 2 nights in Sedona - enjoy the area and a resort (pool). Suggestions around there?

Drive to Phoenix and have all day...leave late at night.

How does this sound...trying to balance physical activity (hiking) with relaxing and play.

Considered skipping Zion and Bryce and just doing LV-GC-Sedona-Phonnix...what do you think? Thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

If it was me, I would skip Zion and Bryce, save them for the next trip!

Here's an idea:

Day 1 arrive Vegas. Check into hotel. Near MGM Grand is a huge arcade, I think called Gameworks. Great fun.

Day 2 Visit Hoover Dam on the way to GC. Stay GC

Day 3 GC day. See all the overlooks, hike along the rim toward Hermit's Rest, you can take the shuttle when you get tired. Stay GC

Day 4 GC day again. Maybe a short hike into the canyon. The hike to the bottom is NOT a day trip at all. With children, no way! You can hike part of the way into the canyon on either Bright Angel or South Kaibab. Check www.nps.gov/grca on their hiking page. Stay GC.

Day 5 Leave GC out the east entrance. Stop and see Wupatki and Sunset Crater Nat Mon. Have lunch in Flagstaff, then drive on through Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona.

Day 6 Sedona day. Maybe a jeep tour.

Day 7 Either stay in Sedona, or drive to Phoenix and stay at a resort with a great pool. There are some Hiltons with awesome pools.

Day 8 Phoenix during the day, then home!!

Hartsdale, NY
Level Contributor
177 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

But can you do fly into Las Vegas. Do Hoover Dam, Bryce and Zion, GCNP and Sedona in 10 days?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

Yes you can do it in 10 days. The above post seems to have 8 days. That can be done too. Just spend less time in each place.

It depends on your must see list. I'd rather at least go to Zion for a day than not at all. Spectacular place. Zion has a lot of different hikes that vary in length and difficulty. I can't recall them all. They are listed in the paper they give out when you go in the park. Go to that forum for details on hikes.

You can visit Bryce too. You will just need to be on a tight schedule.

I would also visit Hoover Dam along the way to GCNP and stay in GCNP. Make sure you give yourself enough time in the park by leaving LV early. Like Casa said, no one day hikes down the canyon. So much to see, so little time...

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

I'd suggest skipping Las Vegas. Two nights in Zion would give you enough time to hike some of the trails. Leave early and you could get to Bryce to hike and see the overlooks with a finish for part of the next day, then on to the Grand Canyon, arriving in time for a sunset at one of the points. Try to get a room in the park and use the shuttle. You really don't want to be driving to Tusayan after dark. They have elk and mule deer that like to wander onto the road and one collision with them and your vacation is ruined. Sunrise at Yaki Point is beautiful. Yaki Point can only be reached by shuttle.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

Thanks for the tips and advice. When people say "hike to the river"...they mean the river itself, at the bottom..right? I just want to go to Plateau Point and back. Is that do-able, considering I have a 9 and 12 year old? I've done the trip to Indian Garden twice and I'm told the additional distance to Plateau Point is relatively easy (flat) and in April should not be too hot. Is it worth it?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,165 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

The hike to Plateau Point from Indian Garden is fairly flat and relatively easy... but.. it is the only place in the ENTIRE SW that I have run across a rattlesnake!!

From the rim to Indian Gardens is 4.6 miles, and from the rim to Plateau Point is 6.1 miles. The hardest part as you know is the climb out!

If your kids are very strong hikers, willing and able to do a round trip of over 12 miles to and back from Plateau point, then go for it. Keep in mind that you are coming from sea level to over a mile high! The altitude change can be tough, especially on kid.

I have a 13 year old and the 12 miles rt down and up in one day would really be too much for him, much less his old mom!! I backpacked into the canyon in my earlier days. Now we can do 5 mile hikes at altitude with out too much trouble, and we live at 7000'.

April will be warm in the canyon, you all will need to carry plenty of water and food.

Have fun.

7. Re: Feedback requested - Start in LV end in Phoenix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 04:17