We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

railway package?

Iowa
Level Contributor
92 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
railway package?

Has anyone gone on the railway trips? I am thinking about surprising my husband (for our 25th anniversay) with a quick trip to the Grand Canyon. What would you recommend as must do/see's while there? I am looking into a railway package but I don't want to miss the best the most popular "to do's" we would need to keep it as short as possible and do it this March or later in the fall. Any suggestions would be great!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: railway package?

I havenot done the railway but for a quick trip to GCNP I would drive GCNP directly and enjoy the canyon as long as possible. Stroll along the rim and visit GC Village.

If it's for the trainride. Stay in one of the old R66 hotels in Williams the night before. Take the train ride. Walk the rim (only 5 minutes from the station) and take the train back. Will limit your time at the rim though. Stay in Williams a second night if you take the train.

Tet

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,276 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: railway package?

The train only gives you about 3 hours at the canyon. It is possible to arrange to stay overnight in the canyon so that you can see more of the canyon. The railway's hotel is not in the canyon. The "must do/see" is the canyon. If you've never been there, 3 hours is not enough.

Also, the train is great for kids, not so interesting for adults. You do not see the canyon from the train. From Williams to GC you see ranches and lots of trees.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: railway package?

The train ride is an all day affair. It doesn't go around the canyon and you don't see any of the canyon from the train. Its just a mode of transportation. That being said its a difference of opinion if you like trains and don't want to drive and have time to stay the night (go up one day, back the next) you will enjoy it more. If you are short on time then I'd drive yourself. How much time do you have?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: railway package?

For a short visit I would not do the train ride. I went on the ride. It was o.k., but I had more time. I took a van shuttle from Bright Angel Lodge early one morning to Williams, then rode the train back. That was enough. You don't see the Canyon from the train. Sights not that interesting IMO, but the novelty of riding the train was good. Kids would like it too. I wouldn't limit my already short time at the Grand Canyon to ride the train.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: railway package?

My opinion, if you only have a short time, drive to the canyon. If you want an authentic train ride, go to Durango, CO and ride the steam train to Silverton (do the one way train, one way bus unless you really are a steam train buff).

6. Re: railway package?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 14:19