We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,426 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

All 3 are available for my July visit. I have current reservations at Yavapai but I am reconsidering as it is not at the rim.

What are the pluses or minuses for each and which do you suggest???

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,214 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

El Tovar is the classic historic lodge, is most expensive; the rooms are small except for the suites. It is on the rim, and some rooms have views.

Bright Angel is on the rim, but not all rooms have views, is more expensive, and some rooms are small. Yavapai has larger rooms than the other two, is more modern, and is about a 1/4 mile from the rim.

There are free shuttles in the central GC Village area to take you around.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

El Tovar and Bright Angel are both old historic lodges. El Tovar is quite nice, and Bright Angel is more rustic/basic. Soome of the rooms there have the bathroom down the hall. All rooms at El Tovar have ensuite bathrooms, and some have canyon view.

We have stayed at both Bright Angel and El Tovar and like both. It depends on how much you want to spend and what you expect of a hotel.

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

I forgot to mention th eair conditioning aspect, which you might think about for a July visit. Rooms at El Tovar and Yavapai East have air conditioning. Rooms at Bright Angel and Yavapai West do not.

At least, that's what the website says.

Eagle River, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

DH and I have stayed at El Tovar everytime we have gone to the Grand Canyon. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and twice we have had a partial canyon view.

I don't think you could go wrong with either El Tovar or Bright Angel Lodge - you walk out the door and the Canyon is right there!

Enjoy.

washington, missouri
Level Contributor
319 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

I too have stayed at both the El Tovar and Bright Angel Lodge. My wife and I prefer the Bright Angel Lodge and their rim cabins, which are only 30 feet from the rim.

For my money it will never be El Tovar again, the Bright Angel has everything we want at a cheaper rate. This year will make the fifth time I have used Bright Angel Lodge as my/ our basecamp.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

I always stay at El Tovar if it's available. Bright Angel is the second choice. Staying on the rim beats being further way in any case.

I'm a realtor... location, location, location!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

Welcome back Red Rox! This forum has been busy and travelers will be happy to have your expertise in place once again.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

Hello Redsledtoo we want to do the south rim March 09 the mule ride day trip and were thinking of staying at Bright Angel lodge as well do you have to book early to reserve a room and have you done the mule ride thanks runniggirl

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,022 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

I am not Redsledtoo but I can answer about Bright Angel Lodge. Yes, you do have to book early, especially if you want a cabin close to the rim. I just checked and there is availability most nights in March, but I wouldn't wait much longer.

www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Put in your dates and look for a "cabin with partial view" or "rim cabin".

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,790 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Tovar, Bright Angel or Yavapai Lodging

And note that reviving 10 month old threads like this is not as good as using the thread that you started yesterday. You have already received some very good advice.