We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermit Road closed

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Hermit Road closed

I just noticed that on the map in the GC guide it lists that the Hermit Rd will be closed after 4/1/08. So if we ride the shuttle to Hopi Point how far is it to Hermit's Rest approximately? Which lookouts are the must sees if we don't walk all the way to Hermit's Rest? Thanks.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hermit Road closed

From Hopi Point to "The Abyss" (must-see) is just over 1 mile. It is about 3 miles to the next official viepoint, Pima Point. then just over a mile more to Hermit's Rest.

You can download a map here:

nps.gov/grca/…spring08village.pdf

Click where it says "Spring 2008"

Bay Area
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hermit Road closed

starfish,

I'm not sure the following is true. But it is my impression that, sadly, the whole area is not just closed to the shuttle, but to pedestrians as well. If that's true you won't be allowed to walk to Hermit's Rest.

Would love to get anyone else's opinions on this. We're visiting at the end of April and like starfish, had hoped to see this part of the rim.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
60,110 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hermit Road closed

The reports and accounts I have read indicate that all traffic, vehicular and pedestrian will not be permitted beyong Hopi Point on the West Rim. The facility at Hermits rest will be closed for the duration ogf the construction project. This should not be a major disappointment for visitors to the GCNP. There atill are over 30 miles of trails and roads and view points in the park along the rim from Hopi Point to Desert View. And access into the canyon itself is still possible via a variety of trails. None of these hikes should be attempted without a careful plan and advice to the park service or family members regarding your planned route, travel time and procurement of adequate food and water and supplies.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hermit Road closed

From the official NPS website:

"April 1, 2008: Hermit Road will be closed to all vehicles west of Hopi Point due to construction activities. The Rim Trail will also be closed beyond Hopi Point. Pedestrians will not be allowed to walk along any portion of either the road or the Rim Trail between Hopi Point and Hermits Rest.

July 7, 2008: The entire length of Hermit Road will be closed to all vehicles beyond the Hermit Road intersection with Village Loop Road. In addition the Rim Trail will be closed beyond Trailview Overlook I. Periodic trail closures closer to the intersection may occur when construction activities take place near the trail or near the trail access."

For further information about what will be open:

www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/hermit.htm

Kentucky
Level Contributor
282 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hermit Road closed

I'm coming to the Grand Canyon for the first time in August. I kept reading on here about going to Hermits Rest, so that was one thing on my agenda to see. I was a little disappointed that now I can't. But I thought, I don't know what I'm missing anyway, since I've never seen it. Maybe another time.

Reading, England
Level Contributor
158 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hermit Road closed

I am coming in May and was due to do a day hike to Yuma Point an dback from Hermits Rest so was really disappointed to hear I can't do it now. At least I found out in advance though.

For those who haven't been before and are only going for a couple of days tthere is so much else to see it's not that much of an issue for them.

CT
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hermit Road closed

At first I was disappointed too but then I decided to look at it this way...it helps to narrow down the possibilities so I've decided to go on the Ranger hike to Cedar Ridge instead of hiking west of Hopi Point. We are there for 2 nights but I think I will still want to see and do more than that amount of time allows. But I'm going to take RedRox's advice and just "take it all in" and enjoy my stay.

I'd really like to do a moonlight/stars ranger talk. We are going to be there the evenings of April 14 & 15. Will that be a possibility or are we a bit early for the full moon ranger talks? I looked at the chart and I think we are too early but could someone comment? Thanks!!

8. Re: Hermit Road closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 21:16