We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

okay, me and my girlfriend are really athletic, but might only have one day, can we leave phoenix early (like 5am), get to the canyon and hike to the waterfalls and make it out by sunset? or is it too far? I know we should camp there, but we might not have the time and someone to watch our dogs while we're gone.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

Don't even think about it. You can barely drive to the start point and back in one day, let alone do the hike! If you had 3 days. it would be pushing it. You need every bit of a full day to do the hike, peferably 2 with an overnight there. Havasu falls are no where near the Grand Canyon, at least not the part that you can get to from PHX conveniently.

If you only have a day, why not think about doing a trip to the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park? That will be about a 4 hour drive each way, and then you can spend about 4 hours inside the park as well.

that in itself is a long day, but you're young, and in good shape, so you could do it.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

if you need more confirmation on this, i totally agree with redrox.

yahoo says it's 262 miles from phx to hualapai hilltop, or 5 hours driving .... it's more because the last 30 miles is dirt road. your car is parked in an absolutely desolate area with no security while you're hiking. it's 8 miles down, then 3 miles to the waterfalls. doesn't sound bad, but one doesn't make the same time hiking when it's all downhill and then all uphill versus less steep areas. i would estimate 7-8 hours of hiking down and back out for good hikers. once you get down there, then you have to register to be there before going any further, and i hear there are usually delays with the office not always open, people at lunch, etc.

try to plan 2 days for this adventure.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

I am only responding here because I looked into doing the hike to the falls as an option during my upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon in September. If money is not an object, there is apparently helicopter access to the village, but there appears to be some conflicting information about the reliability of these services.

The official havasupai site states that the helicopter gives preference to tribal members and such and is otherwise booked on a first come, first served basis.

See here for more details http://www.havasupaitribe.com/helicopter.html

But then I saw this on another site.."You can get a Helicopter from Tusayan, AZ (Grand Canyon) to Havasu Falls. They will drop you off at 10:00am and come get you at 4:00pm. WARNING this is not near enough time to enjoy the falls and you will wish you had at least 2 days. You will still have a 2 mile hike to the first falls from where the Helicopter drops you off."

havasufalls.net/directions-to-havasu-falls.s…

So I'm not sure if there are other private operators allowed to use the helipad? Even so, the above warning still prompts that you would need more time to enjoy the falls.

Just a few things to consider...?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

wow thanks guys, guess i'll have to plan this out better.

5. Re: Havasu Canyon in a day from Phoenix?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 04:19