We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

I have done everything I could possibly do to secure permits to the bottom of the south rim and I haven't been lucky to be granted them. I wanted to hike on the 3rd May. So will do half the hike on the 2nd and hike back up - leaving the 3rd free. I have a number of choices - stay in the campsite and do more hiking, take a helicopter ride, raft on the colorado. Or - leave and go somewhere else - where though!?! Zion!?! How long would it take to get there and then to Vegas? Or does anyone have any other suggestions. Really frustrating as it's my dream to hike to the base of the canyon.

So want to do something good.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

What about the mule rides down to the bottom and overnight stay at Phantom Ranch? No backcountry permit required for this overnight stay! It's an obtion, but being this close they may be booked also, but if you're somewhat flexable with your dates you might make out better then you think.

Zion is also very beautiful with some pretty amazing hikes. It will take approx 5 hours to drive from South Rim to Zion and then another 2 1/2 hours from Zion to Vegas. The town of Springdale is right there and has a lot of acommodations to choose from.

Hope this helps some!!!

SJG

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

YOu have another chance to get a permit for camping at Bright Angel. When you arrive at the South Rim, go to the Backcountry Office (sort of near Maswik Lodge) and get a number for the next day's waitlist. Then return at 8 am the following moring. They will call the numbers in order and hand out permits. Maybe you will get lucky!!

Here is the information taken from the website:

"You can stop by the Backcountry Information Center at any time during open hours and request a waitlist number. This number is valid for the following morning and will be used to determine priority of service. At 8:00 a.m. Backcountry Information Center staff will call waitlist numbers. When your turn comes you can request a permit, exchange your number for a new waitlist number good for the following day, or simply ask questions. You may participate in the waitlist for as many consecutive days as is convenient."

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

Thank you both. I would rather hike and camp than sit on a mule.

I'll definitely try and waitlist and fingers crossed get a permit.

If not I'll take the other option - helicopter ride (which one I don't know yet) and then drive to Springdale - I am assuming that this is where Zion is?

Thanks

Steve

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

Thank you both. I would rather hike and camp than sit on a mule.

I'll definitely try and waitlist and fingers crossed get a permit.

If not I'll take the other option - helicopter ride (which one I don't know yet) and then drive to Springdale - I am assuming that this is where Zion is?

Thanks

Steve

Glasgow
Level Contributor
310 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

Can I check one more thing - if Zion is too far - anywhere else which is close that would be of interest.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

Since you expressed interest in rafting on the Colorado:

If you can get there on April 27, it looks like this rafting company may have space on a trip through the upper Grand Canyon, ending at Phantom Ranch with a hike out on May 3:

oars.com/grandcanyon/rafting/leesferry-phant…

And this company does 4-day trips over the same 90-mile stretch of river and rapids, also ending at Phantom. They don't say the dates or availablity, but if interested you could call:

rivers-oceans.com/3-4%20day%20upper%20motor/…

You wouldn't fulfill your dream of hiking to the base of the canyon---you'd get there on a raft---but you still would get to hike up.

This is supposed to be one of the very scenic stretches of the canyon---unlike the part way downstream (below the actual Grand Canyon) where they do one-day trips for the tourists.

7. Re: No reservation at Phantom - WHAT ELSE SHOULD I DO??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 07:19