We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

Fuengirola in Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

Hi,

I´m looking to do a 1 day tour of the Grand Canyon in June. I really want to see the Sky Walkway but also do a helicopter ride over the canyon. However I can not find a tour that includes them both.

Does anybdy know of a company that does them both, if not which one would you choose to do???

Thanx.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

The skywalk is not at the Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. It is located about 150 miles to the west and does not look at the GC itself.

Helicopter flights that fly above the canyon originate from the Grand Canyon Airport located outside of the park gates at Tusayan.

You don't say where you are going to be. If your plan has you visiting the GCNP, then the flight is the obvious option. Most of the tours that go to the skywalk originate in Las Vegas where they are deceptively marketed as trips to the Grand Canyon (West). Given the choice, I would choose the helicopter flight.

However, nothing can take the place of seeing the Grand Canyon from the ground, on the rim, inside the park.

BTW, I had one of the most memorable meals on our entire trip to Spain in your town of Fuengirola on a Sunday afternoon two years ago. We loved your white town.

Fuengirola in Spain
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

Sorry, I will be coming from Las Vegas. So what´s the best side, the south or north? And do you know of any direct booking web-sites? Nice to know my small town is appreciated!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

Do a search the sky walk is a huge waste of your time money and well we will just leave it at that. Just do the Helicopter ride but from Vegas you will only go to the West rim not the south rim.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,854 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

The south rim is the place to go. But you really need to plan to do it as an overnight trip. A day trip is possible but you'll enjoy yourself much more if you can afford two days instead.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

best side for first timers is the S rim and its an easy 5 hr drive from LV to GC S rim if you would like to just rent a car and do it yourself which is more advisable. Stay the night and leave in the am.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,742 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

I agree rent a car and make the 5 hour drive to the south rim of GCNP. You will not forget this experience. Try to get a room inside the park if not at the entrance or in Williams.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

Don't bother going to the Skywalk. It is a waste of time and money.(read the Trip advisor reviews.) The novelty of walking on glass wears off quickly, and your wallet will empty quickly at that place too.$$ Go to the Grand Canyon south rim and take a helicopter ride at the airport there.

8. Re: Helicopter tour, sky walkway or both???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 20:16