We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

OK, maybe all this trip planning is making me a little crazy, but I swear the descriptions were more helpful last time I looked! For real - here are some examples straight from the Xanterra reservations website when you click on a room:

"Bright Angel Lodge & Cabins - Cabin with 1 Queen Bed

This is the much longer description of the room type that can go on and on and on and on till your blue in the face."

"Yavapai Lodge - Standard 2 Queen East - This is the long description for this 2 Queen bed room to help give you a better idea of what a great room this is, because we can go on and on and on about what a wonderful room this is and how much you will really enjoy this wonderful room at Yavapai East." (& the photo is of the RV park)

too funny... I just had to share

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

Rooms at the GCNP are really only designed for one thing, sleeping. If you're looking for more than that it in a room there, then you might as well go to a resort somewhere else and skip the Grand Canyon. The rooms are in fact, basic. But it's OK, because you really won't be doing anything else in your room anyway.

They don't have to do any fancy upscale accurate marketing since they are sold out year 'round. And hey, it's not the Ritz. This is our government's own Nat'l Park Service.

NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

Redrox,

you seem to take offense? I just thought it was funny!

..."go on and on till your blue in the face"

sorry if this posting upset you. I KNOW they had normal descriptions the first time I looked and thought it was kinda strange yet amusing. that's all.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

No, I'm not offended at all. But some readers might see your post and not understand. Those of us who have been there, know what it's all about. It can be confusing for some.

But don't get crazy about booking your reservations. The GCNP is such a cool place, it's a shame to think that some folks decide not to go, just on account of the room descriptions or a bad review of the El Tovar dining room.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,987 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

I think the point is that the website is somehow messed up. Some of the photos and descriptions seem to have been replaced with the examples quoted above (such as the photo of Trailer Village where there should be a photo of the Yavapai East room). The Bright Angel no-bath room I checked seemed to have the correct narrative description, but many of the rooms at other lodges---maswik, Yavapai, El Tovar, seem to have the nonsensical one quoted above---with no way to get to the actual "long description".

Rooms at Thunderbird seemed to have both kinds---some with the identical "on and on and on" language, and others with the correct information (like this):

All Thunderbird Lodge Rooms are non-smoking standard motel-style rooms located in a split-level 2-story building (rooms on either floor may require some stair climbing). The building is located along the rim of the Grand Canyon within walking distance of the Bright Angel lodge, where Thunderbird guests check in. These Motel rooms feature 1 King bed, full bath, PARTIAL canyon view, hair dryers, TV, in-room coffee maker, refrigerator, CD player/clock radio/alarms, in-room safes, iron & ironing boards, telephone, data port connection and evaporative cooling (NOT A/C). Sleeps up to 3 people, adults or children. Rollaway or Crib OK (Rollaway or Crib may be required for 3rd person). Pets and/or cooking are not allowed in the room. Canyonside rooms can be on either floor, with interior entrances on the 1st floor and exterior entrances on the 2nd.

And lots of the photos are missing.

I don't know if they are re-working the website, or someone is playing a prank, but clearly it is messed up! It would be impossible for someone to get the information they actually need, about bed configuration, etc. from that "what a great room this is" line.

I hope they correct it soon, or a lot of people are going to have trouble finding out what their room has for beds, etc. Even though, as RedRox says, it's "not about the room" at the Grand Canyon, I think people need to know some basic information about the room they are booking.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,350 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

You're absolutely right Enzian. But that's why we're here at TA. We're covering for the government's screw ups.

;-)

6. Re: Has anyone else noticed the strange room descriptions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 04:20