We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one hour mule rides on the north rim

Hebron, IN
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
one hour mule rides on the north rim

just wondered if the one hour mule ride on the north rim was treacherous/ or worth it?

We aren't very outdoorsy but want to experience as much as we can while we are there. thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour with...
6,572 reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
45-minute Helicopter Flight Over the...
503 reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
571 reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
388 reviews
from US$499.99*
US$541.00
South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

What time of year do you plan on doing this? The North Rim is closed from mid Oct to mid May due to heavy snow fall.

If you want to get below the rim a ways and you don't want to hike it then I would do the mule ride. I beleive it takes you down to Supai Tunnel which is approx 2 miles down. Take the time to go thru the tunnel to the other side while down there. The views are awesome!!

There is a "resthouse" there with pit toilets. If you're looking for a bath house with a sink and flush toilets you won't find it there!

It's beautiful scenery and if you have the opportunity to do it then take it!!

Enjoy

SJG

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,583 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

The 1 hour mule ride does not go into the canyon. The ride is through the forest on the rim. We plan on doing this on our trip in 3 weeks, will let you know more details.

www.canyonrides.com/grand_canyon_rides.html

New Boston, New...
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

Casazul - would love to hear more details about the rim ride when you return. My dd and her bf are planning on doing this while we are there.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

I apologize for the wrong information....my bad!!

Wasn't even thinking when I responded. Blame it on not enough sleep!!!!

Sorry

SJG

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,583 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

I would not have know if I had not been planning a trip to North Rim and taking a mule ride, lol!

It is summer vacation for me, I get all kinds of sleep! Makes up for all the early mornings during the school year!

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

Ah...no summer vacation for me, work right thru, year after year after year...5 days a week, 10 1/2 hours a day!!! I'm sleep deprived!!!

When you get back from your trip, please let us all know how you "loved" the North Rim! Not much longer now! I remember all those scouting trips with my boys, now they're all grown!

Have a great trip

SJG

Hebron, IN
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

we are going to be there at the end of july. so I'll let you know about the mule ride. We are newbies to this part of the country and can't wait to experience every part of it.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

lovessandiego,

Do you have a whole itinery and reservations planned for your trip? Everything is so wide open and takes a while to get from place to place!

What time of year are you planning your trip? If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. People on TA are very helpful and knowledgeable!

Enjoy

SJG

NJ
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

My mom and I will be traveling in the NR in August. I have already made the reservations for the mule ride to the Supai Tunnel. This mule ride is approximately 3.5 hrs round trip so if considering this choice, it takes a bit longer than the rim trail. My understanding from reading about the mules is that they first start at Zion Park which has trails that are the most level (flat land) and spend two years on the trails there. After that, the mules transition to the more steeper trails in Bryce for an additional two years. After that, those mules that can then transition to GCNP. I think - if I recall correctly from what I read, the mules in the GCNP are at least six years old. The trail rides below the rim are the most steep of the three NPs. I also read that the mules tend to walk on the outermost (cliff drop off) side rather than the cliff wall side on the trail below the rim. If that doesn't bother you then join the mule-riding crowd. Check first to see if there is availability. During crowded times, the mule rides might be already be reserved.

I hope this helps.

london
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: one hour mule rides on the north rim

Hi,

I'm also interested in the one hour ride. Does anyone know if you need to book it? Also, does it go right up to the rim of the canyon?

Thanks

Poppy

Get answers to your questions about Grand Canyon National...