We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon to San diego

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Canyon to San diego

Hi. Can anyone give me the best way to get from the Grand Canyon SR to san diego. We will have a stop over for 1 night. Am unsure of towns and where the best place to stay at night is. We were also hoping to see Wupatki and sunset crater on the way through. Any advice would be great. thanks in advance.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon to San diego

First order is to make sure you get a good road atlas to have with you. Its about 8 hours from Williams to San Diego. Then another 1 hour to the GC. If you are getting into Phoenix late I suggest staying somewhere in North Phoenix by Metro Center or off of Bell Road. Then do the rest of the driving in the am. It also depends on what time of year you are going to be here. Winter is a whole different story.

I think its something like I-8 then I think I-10 then I-17 N to Flagstaff.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Also look into www.mapquest.com

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon to San diego

Making it a 2 days drive and including visits to Wupatki NM and Sunset Crater Volcano NM. Best is to drive east rim first to Cameron then south to Flagstaff making the NM loop and drive I40 west. This already will take most of the day with the visits and to Williams or maybe Kingman. Then Kingman-San Diego next day. You also can drive GC-San Diego in 2 days skipping the mentioned NM's and drive parts of the Mother Road R66. In that case GCNP-Kingman-Oatman-Needles-Amboy-29Palms. Next day to San Diego maybe through Anza Borrego. And you can go via Wupatki etc. to Sedona-Blythe-San Diego or via Phx. Paradox of choice. Can't say one is better than the other. I like the desert drives, but you also should not miss Sedona...sigh

Tet

Sydney
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon to San diego

Thanks for that. This at least gives us an idea. We were interested in Wupatki etc as we will not have seen any of this sort of thing before.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon to San diego

Wupatki and Sunset Crater are southeast of GCNP near Flagstaff AZ. You can't exactly see them "on the way through." You can plan to visit them before or after GCNP. They will take up at least a half day.

The best route from GCNP to San Diego is I-40 west to I-15 at Barstow in California, and then south on I-15 to San Diego. It's about an 8 hour drive. There will not be much to see. Places to stop if necessary would be Barstow or as you pass through the eastern extent of the LA area there are many towns. Going south to Phoenix will take longer.

5. Re: Grand Canyon to San diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 04:17