We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Audubon...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Hello, I was hoping to book either the Holiday Inn Express or Bestwestern since they are so close and I knew the hotels inside the park were sold out, but these are too!

We are leaving Vegas 9/14 and the best I can do is stay in Best Western in Williams on the 14th, then I got the Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon on the 15th.

Is driving to Vegas, then to the canyon for sunset then to Williams going to suck? I guess I have no other option though.

At least I got near there for one of the nights.

I'll just be doing some backtracking on the first night...and be unable to leave my stuff inside of the hotel...sucks to have to pack up everything again!

Holiday Inn has me on their waiting list for the 14th so I'll just keep calling every day for a cancellation! Wish me luck!

TX
Level Contributor
156 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

I bet if you keep trying you'll get a place. Don't forget the park also - don't depend on the online listing use the phone.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Yes, best advice is to keep calling them, also the lodges inside the park. See the Xanterra webside for that. Nevertheless, if no vacancy make the best out of it. Take a leisurely drive from Las Vegas to Williams. See Hoover Dam and drive old R66 between Kingman and Seligman. Stop at Hackberry and Seligman for some old R66 relics. Drive to Williams, the BW has overlooks and balcony on a hill and have a nice dinner in one of Willams good restaurants. Nice town! The next morning start early, drive to Flagstaff, take us89 north (maybe also the Sunset Crater Volcano-Wupatki loop) drive to Cameron and enter GCNP by its east entrance. First stop Desert View and make you way along the rim to GC Village stopping at the various places. Stay at the village, explore, see sunset have dinner at El Tovar or Arizona Room right at the rim and go to Tusayan for the night. Next morning early rise for sunrise, the rim again and back to Las Vegas (5 hours from GC Village). No worries, it will be a fantastic trip whereever you stay. Why rush and take 2 extra hours from and to Williams if you can see sunset next day?

Tet

Audubon...
Level Contributor
246 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Sorry I guess I should've given more information.

I will be leaving from vegas on the 14th and then to GC for 2 nights, then Sedona 2 nights, then flying out of Phoenix, so I won't be returning to LV.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Even better, then you'll have to drive from south rim to Sedona and you'll have more time for SR. But now I would stay first night in Williams (if no accomodation at the rim) Then next morgen to GC Village and the rim, sunset, back to Tusayan, sunrise and the drive via east rim , Desert View and Flagstaff to Sedona next day. That'll save you some miles and backtracking.

Tet

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,344 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Don't give up, keep calling for rooms inside the park. People cancel all the time! 888-297-2757

Also here is a list of hotels/motels in Tusayan:

Holiday Inn Express:

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hotel/gcnaz

Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn:

www.bestwesternarizona.com/hotels

Canyon Plaza Quality Inn and Suites:

www.grandcanyonqualityinn.com

Red Feather Lodge:

www.redfeatherlodge.com

The Grand Hotel:

www.pacificahost.com

Keep trying, something will open up!!!

Enjoy

SJG

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

I called for a few days in a row (morning and late afternoon their time). By the second day, there were three openings inside the park. I booked one. Called the next day and El Tovar had an opening, booked that and cancelled the other. I would book a back up. Call Xanterra directly and I bet you will get a room inside the park. By the way, ours is for August.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

If you can't get anything try Tusayan then Williams is only an easy 1 hour drive goes quite fast. And we have some great places to eat at.

Santa Barbara, CA
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

Relax...

Williams is a PERFECT little town to stay in when visiting the Grand Canyon.

The drive from Vegas to Williams/Grand Canyon is great IF you do not take I-40 in Kingman and instead drive Historic Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman.

You can drive just as fast (or faster than on I-40), and there are some cool stops along old Route 66 places like the Hackberry General Store, Grand Canyon Caverns and the Sno-Cap and Angel's Barbershop in Seligman. Do not miss any of these places along the way.

9. Re: no hotels available :( Is Williams too far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 14:23