We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
367 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

nearly there...3 weeks to go! Yippee....started thinking about packing and suddenly thought....how cold does it get overnight at Zion, Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon? OR for that matter....how hot does it get during the day.......!!!! Gosh....what to pack...my big thick jumper or my not so skinny swim top!!!any advice much appreciated to stop me from bringing all but the kitchen sink! Thank you! PS we are stopping on the South Rim in an RV!

California
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

Think "layers" and bring them both.

You won't likely need that "big thick jumper" if it is meant for winter, but you will want a fleece jacket or wool cardigan for evening at the Grand Canyon. If it is really cold you can wear it over a long-sleeve shirt. It is also a good idea to bring a rain jacket or windcheater.

The elevation there is around 7,000 feet, so it cools off at night. Right now the nighttime lows are around 12 degrees C; in another few weeks it could be the same or a wee bit cooler at night.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

Weather can change dramatically at Grand Canyon. I was at the South Rim in mid-August one year when a storm came through and dropped the temperature into the 50's in 10 minutes. It got colder that night. Not likely, but be prepared.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

The *important* thing as far as your MH is to ask at the check-in booth how cold it is getting at night. If it is below about 35º F (they probably won't have a clue what that is in C), unhook your water hose (errr, turn your water off first, lol!), drain it, and store it inside your storage compartment. In the morning, if it's warmer, you can re-attach it for use.

We were there in April and it was below freezing all three nights.

Bryce is *very* cold, below freezing over 200 nights of the year.

Also, you will always want to leave your sewer valve closed until you dump the sewer, no matter what the weather. They will tell you this when you pick it up I'm sure :-)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

Sept can be a really odd time for weather. It can sometimes be the hottest month or the rainiest and the most wind. You just never know. I'd think LAYERS!! Don't bother with the jumper. Think more on the lines of a hoodie or a light weight leather jacket or a thicker rain type jacket. You can always buy a GC sweater along the way if need be.

Do a trial run. Then cut that in half. If you can't wear it more than 3 times you don't need it unless its a nice piece for going out. I managed to go to Australia for a month with only 2 weeks of clothing and 3 pairs of shoes. I always plan on having to buy a small bag to check in on the way back or ship items home. But the check in fee for luggage is much cheaper. Take a look at this article and packing list.

www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/womenpacking.htm

london
Level Contributor
214 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

Hey, great minds think alike (or ... you know). We're doing a similar trip in approx three weeks and I'm in a total panic about what to take to wear in the evening. Footwear a particular problem - flip flops or boots (apparently some snow in Torrey last Sept)? Think the 'kitchen sink' approach may have to be followed (large baggage allowance on Virgin)!

6. Re: how cold at night in early - mid sept in an RV?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 22:18