We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

Any place to buy a bottle of wine in the park to sip while watching a sunset, or should I get one prior to getting to the park? Also, the next day, can one get a picnic lunch to take out the Desert View Dr? If so where, and is there one overlook on the drive that is especially nice for a picnic lunch?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

You will find both the wine and fixings for a picnic lunch at the grocery inside the park---I think it's called Canyon Marketplace. It is near Yavapai Lodge. They have an adequate selection of wine, with some chilled for immediate use. The deli there (to the left as you walk into the store) makes nice sandwiches, and I believe they have some salads and hot food "to go" as well---but I'm not sure of that because we always just get the sandwiches and add fruit and drinks from the grocery.

We have only driven out the east rim drive as far as Grandview Point, so I can't help with a good picnic spot. But I'm sure others can.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

Thanks Enzian for the info. It helps out in having options. Not sure what we'll do, eat in the village or picnic, but at least I know we have options. Thought it might be nice to eat at an overlook on our way out of the park via east entrance rather than in a restaurant. Not many chances to have lunch with a view like we're anticipating.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

Not sure where you are originally coming from but there's a Safeway in Williams and several places in Flagstaff to get the good stuff for a better price if you happen to be coming from that direction.

Cape Girardeau, Mo
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

Coming in Thursday AM 9/18 from Sedona. Leaving Friday PM driving to Phoenix to fly home Sat AM. Have debated which way to come to park, South or East entrance, but I think we decided to come in from the South, and exit the East. Can p/u bottle of wine (for Thurs. sunset--Not Friday picnic--have to drive to Phoenix) on way in at Williams as you suggested, but not a sandwich for the next day.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

You will indeed find a better selection of wine for your Thursday evening sunset celebration outside the park, like the Williams Safeway. So that's a good suggestion.

But for Friday lunch, I heartily endorse the rim picnic idea---much better than sitting in a restaurant! The Canyon Marketplace deli makes good custom sandwiches, and you could pick them up just before you depart so they will be nice and fresh.

I am trying to remember if Grandview Point has picnic tables. We hiked there, but didn't stay at the rim viewpoint itself very long. If they do, the tables are probably not right on the rim with a view. Maybe Lipan Point? that one is supposed to have the "most sweeping views", at least according to my guidebook.

6. Re: Bottle of wine/ picnic lunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:22