We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Sickness

Richmond, Virginia
1 post
Save Topic
Sea Sickness

I am going on the motorized trip in Sept. I just watched some rafting videos and remembered that I get sea sick. Is this ever an issue? If so, what should I do to prepare? Thanks.

Special Offer
Las Vegas to Grand Canyon Helicopter...
6,627 Reviews
from US$399.99*
US$520.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon 45-Minute Helicopter...
531 Reviews
from US$276.99*
US$299.00
Grand Canyon and Sedona Deluxe...
629 Reviews
from US$179.29*
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Skywalk Skip-the-Line...
404 Reviews
from US$529.99*
US$541.00
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,594 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Sickness

The raft trips are relatively smooth with the obvious exception of running the various rapids. The motion of the river is nothing like the rocking that you would get in a boat on the ocean or a large lake. I can't imagine that it would be an issue for you. But it would be easy enough to bring some dramamine or mild medication for motion discomfort.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Sickness

As far as dealing with sea sickness go to your local dive shop or your local pharmacy should have some Bonine. You can also try ginger but doesn't work on most people. You can get the benadryl but you run the risk of gettin drowsy or dizzy. You shouldn't get motion sickness if the boat is moving and the water is calm. i get horribly sea sick and take meclazine (sp?) an rx from my dr for motion sickness. I don't get sick if the boat is moving its only when stopped.

If you get any of these meds try them first before you go on your trip you don't want to have a reaction to them on your trip in such a remote area. I scuba dive and sometimes even get sea sick while diving if the current is strong. LOL. The meclazine works quite well but does give you dry mouth as with most meds of this type. I see from your name your and rn? You might ask your office if they have some samples you can try. I also work at a doctors office so have some famiiliarity with medications.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Sickness

I also get sea sick and have taken ginger for years. The trick with taking ginger is to start about three days before your scheduled trip and take it four times a day....breakfat, lunch, dinner and bedtime! Make sure it's a pure form of ginger in a capsule. You can get them at most GNC stores. Always try to take them with meals or at least some crackers and plenty of water.

It's a alternative, but have also kept Bonine on hand. Will not get drowsy with the Bonine.

Enjoy

SJG

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Sickness

Seasickness is not much of a problem on these trips, even for folks who are prone to it because the ride through the rapids is relatively quick and there are many stretches of the river where the ride is smooth.

Still take the precautions you normally would, but you may be pleasantly surprised. I used to work for Wilderness River Adventures and actually talked to a few people who got seasick on the ocean like clockwork, but were fine on the river.

5. Re: Sea Sickness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 06:19