We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging Near the South Rim

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Lodging Near the South Rim

Hi, I just decided to take a trip to Vegas and then the Grand Canyon in early fall. From the little research I have done so far I have found very little availability for lodging within the park (not really a surprise) so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a good place to stay near the South Rim? I plan on going for 4 days, so I was also wondering if anyone could recommend things to do and see? Thanks.

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
205 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

As you we, too, are planning a Grand Cayon trip and have been researching. The are some hotels just right outside Grand Canyon south rim entrance. There's also Williams or Flagstaff. As far as things to do, well there are the ruins to check out, airplane tour, jeep tour, etc.

2. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2006, 06:30
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

Specifically I plan on visiting from October 6th - 10th. I took a look on the Xanterra Parks & Resorts website and there was no availibility for any of the lodges.

Is it worth taking a tour or is it possible to see most of what the South Rim has to offer on your own?

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

You can see a lot on your own. The west rim drive you'd either need to take the free shuttle, or go on one of our Hermit's Rest tours--you'll get a lot more information on our tour, as our driver/guides are very knowledgeable. The East Rim drive you can do on your own.

And then there are plenty of NPS activities--you'll get a newspaper called "The Guide" when you pay your entrance fee, and it will list all the current guided walks and talks that are available.

But I would say that if you aren't an avid hiker, 4 days might be a little too long to stay.

Grand Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

You can do a lot on your own. But I would say that if you aren't an avid hiker, 4 days may be a little too long to stay. The only thing at the south rim you can't do on your own in Oct is drive on the west rim drive to Hermit's Rest. You'd either have to take the free shuttle or one of our guided bus tours. But be sure to go on at least one NPS guided walk or lecture.

MD
Level Contributor
175 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

I just checked and rooms inside the park certainly are available during Oct 6-10. They are just not available during that 4-day "block".

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

Ptrip...

Hi, when I looked online at Xanterra, the place I was interested in was also booked for the dates and number of people I entered. But then I called directly, (just in case) and talked to an agent. She asked me if the third person would be okay on a rollaway, she could book us in a cabin! Since the third person is my teenage son, and he can sleep on anything, we were able to get the cottage and it's rim side as well!

I find it always helpful to talk to a human when possible, maybe there will be a place for 2 or 3 days out of the 4, or you could always check back for cancellations.

Good luck and enjoy!

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

Hi

There is at least one motel at Tusayan, just outside the south entrance to the park and plenty of lodgings at Flagstaff and Williams about an hour and a half from the park. If you find yourself at Flagstaff and want something to do and see there's the Wupatki, Sunset Crater Volcano and Walnut Canyon NM's, a Meteor Crater and to the south of Flagstaff the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon will take you to lovely town of Sedona, Tuzigoot and Montezuma Castle NM's and the old mining town of Jerome. Should be enough there to keep you occupied. Try www.nps.gov (for National Parks and Monuments) and www.arizonatourism.com for loads of information including lodgings.

Have a great trip.

Tony

Lombard, Illinois
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

Just do NOT stay at the Holiday Inn Express you will be very disappointed! I stayed there in June and it was bad! I would recommend the Quality Inn or there is a new hotel across the street from the Holiday inn express that looked very nice I just can't remember the name. Good luck!

Natalie

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Lodging Near the South Rim

PTrip

Definitely tour the South Rim on your own, that way you can decide where to linger and what to see and by October the crowds will be thinning out. We stayed at the Days Inn Highway 66 in Flagstaff for three nights, nice clean rooms, no problems and an excellent breakfast.

Tony