We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

St. Louis
1 post
Save Topic
Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

I've been lurking for a few days now...everyone seems so helpful.

My dh, 9 yr old daughter, and 80 year old aunt (very vigorous) are flying into LV the end of September, driving to Williams and renting a house there for one week. We're really looking forward to our first trip to the southwest. We're hoping to include day trips to GCNP (obviously), Sedona, Jerome?, Wupatki, etc. I'd love suggestions for itineraries, fun things for a 9 year old, what's reasonable for day traveling based in Williams, etc. Is one week too long?

We're then driving to NM to visit family (Datil and Santa Fe). What should we definitely not miss along the way?

Thanks in advance!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

Williams is a very small town. We only have a safeway and 2 very small one way streets. Just to pre warn you. If your daughter likes to swim we have an awesome aquadic center which only costs a few dollars to use for the day. But we have tons of good places to eat if you know where to go. Pine country, Old Smokies, Panchos, Rosas and a few new ones I haven't been to yet. Let me know what part of town you are staying in and I can give you directions for some drives to look for animals in the evening.

If you are renting the houses I think you are out by the country club its very nice in the trees and there are several lakes nearby with some nice drives. You can do many day trip type drives from Williams no problem. I do it all the time. Sedona is about 1 hr 15 mins with construction from Williams. Prescott is 45 mins. Flagstaff is 30+ mins. GC S rim is 1 hour. You can do Wupatki which is another 30 mins past Flagstaff going north on 89 twards Page. Jerome can be done in the same long day as Sedona depending on what you want to do. Jerome is about 20 mins or so past Sedona if I remember correctly.

There are tons of things to see along the way. If you are coming from LV if you have time you can stop at Oatman before you get out here. You can spend weeks out here and not see everything. I would suggest though dropping to 5 days and spending 2 in Sedona so you can get out and hike and experience the area. This way you can do the Jeep tours and the verde valley rail road and jerome nearby with less driving.

www.visitsedona.com

www.williamschamber.com/index.cfm…

www.williamsnews.com

www.azdailysun.com (flagstaff news paper)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

ps... I forgot to ad my Go List for Flagstaff area.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3541-Northern_…

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

You might enjoy a visit to Seligman and Peach Springs (on the old Route 66) and a tour of the Grand Canyon Caverns. The Grand Canyon Caverns does involve some uphill/downhill walking and some stair climbing, but it's not that bad. If you say your aunt is in good health, she should be able to manage it. Stop at Delgadillo's Snow Cap in Seligman for an ice cream cone (and some laughs).

You might consider Page-Lake Powell, though it's a bit of a haul (3 hours each way, but very scenic). You can take a half-day float trip on the Colorado River there that is very popular and doable for most ages. Late September is a great time of year to be out here.

4. Re: Staying one week in Williams....suggestions for day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 11:21