We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with our dream holiday please...

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with our dream holiday please...

Hi All,

We are driving from Las Vegas to the Huluapai Reservation to check out the Skywalk etc...I know a lot of people have had bad experiences, but my boyfriend is really excited about it, so, we're going there first.

We hope to stay overnight, leave early the next morning and arrive at the South Rim.

We hope to stay for 1 night and then drive to Page at around lunchtime. This means that we don't have a full day at the South Rim, just an afternoon and the following morning.

We're not the hiking type, just want to take in the views and stroll around a little.

Will this be long enough or are we cheating ourselves?

We're going in late October to early November,any hints any tips, either general or specific to this time of year are most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

WLTM

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

Well you've already been warned so you know that going to the skywalk is a huge waste of time and money. I won't add any more to that.

But hoping to stay over night there, or even near there, is an even bigger mistake. The best accomodations nearby would mean backtracking to Kingman. You will have seen it when you drive through that morning. Not much there beyond basic roadside motels. The other option would be to drive onward to Williams. Going further up to Tusayan or the GCNP would be the best option, but you will have wasted so much time at the skywalk, that might be too far to go in one day. (Oops, I wasn't going to mention that again).

The best thing would be to skip the skywalk (sorry, there I go again) and go straight to the GCNP and spend two nights there. You won't understand until you get there. But by the time you do, you'll need to rush to get on to Page.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

Thanks for your help!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

Do a search on "Skywalk" and read the posts. There are some recent ones. If you still decide to go there, you cannot drive your rental car all the way into the reservation. You will need to park at the "welcome center" and take their shuttle the rest of the way. The last 14-15 miles of road are unpaved and according to recent reports in very bad condition. If you drive on non-maintained roads, your rental car contract can be void if there is damage, and you would be personally responsible, and stranded as the rental car company is not going to send a tow truck in there to get you.

Also be aware that the full cost of going to the Skywalk is roughly $80 per person plus the parking/shuttle fee. I am sure the natives are aware of the humor and irony of feeding you "authentic native" food (tacos and macaroni and cheese) for lunch at Guano Point (guano = bat feces or bird feces, or poop to be less polite). The Skywalk is a Las Vegas entertainment thing to get tourist dollars for the impoverished native people, which is a good goal by the way but let someone else be the victim.

One night and a morning is not enough time at GCNP. We're trying to help you have the best experience. 20 minutes on a glass shelf 400 feet above some rocks (not 4000 feet above the river as advertised) on a side canyon of the Grand Canyon is not the best experience in the time you have.

It is cool and perhaps cold in late October/early November. But GCNP is stunning and spectacular at any time. If you're lucky, you'll see it with snow.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

Hi,

thanks again so much. I'm new to this site, but people like you have already made our holiday so much easier to plan.

I have researched the 'skywalk' extensivly, here and elsewhere and have been put off visiting. However, everytime I tell my boyfriend this, he looks at me with those big puppy-dog eyes, like he's really upset!!

I've sent him the reviews now, and this thread, in the hope that he'll agree with me! Otherwise, I'll just have to wait and say 'I told you so' afterwards!

I will look at the calendar and see if I can add another day to the trip to spend 2 days at GCNP.

Are there any recommendations of how to spend our time at the South Rim?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
549 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

walking along the rim of the canyon on the paved trail is wonderful...dessert view drive to the watch tower stopping at the various viewpoints...but we found the most rewarding was going down Bright Angel trai..even if you only go down to the first rest stop which is about a 1 1/2 miles you get such a different prospective of the canyon

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,065 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

>> "Otherwise, I'll just have to wait and say 'I told you so' afterwards!" <<

Well, you know how stubborn those men can be sometimes, LOL!

As far as seeing GC, you can drive to many viewpoints and walk out and look. And it does look different from the different viewpoints. I'd also suggest the watchtower at Desert View, do that on your way to Page maybe.

I don't hike either, but did enjoy wandering down a trail a bit, I think at Grandview. Nobody else went farther than about 100 feet (about 30 metres), I went maybe a couple of hundred yards. Great views and solitude, whereas Bright Angel is busy.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

If the suggestions by RedRox and Bobbear do not work for your boyfriend, and all the negative reviews, how about throwing a really good, female, hissy fit and state you are there to see God's masterpiece, not man's nastypiece! Listen to these good people, they SO know what they speak of. He will forgive you once you get to the GC. If he must walk out somewhere, do so at one of the viewpoints, there are a few with level ground and rocks to sit on. I am not saying go to the very edge. (OK, I did...lol). But wasting such precious time and views on the walk, little alone the price, is just ridiculous.

So, do hissy fits work with your boyfriend? LOL. Have a great time no matter what you do and be sure to post back here, so we know the outcome of your situation!!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,690 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

ROTFLMAO

Now that is some great advice!

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

Thanks again all for the great advice, I'd be lost without tripadvisor and people like you!!

I'm going to go and practise my hissy fit, excuse me please!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with our dream holiday please...

That has to be some of the BEST advice I have ever seen. I love it!!!