We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
60 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Hello,

Could anybody say based on experience what are the odds of Hermit Road and SR64 reopening tomorrow and around what time? I've heard the winter storm warning ends tomorrow at 6am and was wondering how early in the day they would usually clear the roads?

Many thanks

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

I don't know, but it sounds pretty bad up around Flagstaff - check the story on the Arizona Daily Sun website (www.azdailysun.com).

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Don't count on it. It took me 2 hrs to drive from Flagstaff to Williams tonight to get home. Its so bad and icy. If they open it probably won't be until about 10 am for it to melt. You can check the roads by dialing 511 from any phone or http://az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,820 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

It's hard to know for sure. We're watching the weather closely and it appears that there will be snow falling through most of the day tomorrow. Right now it looks like Wednesday will be the first day with clearing weather.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

www.az511.com is probably your most reliable source for road information, you might also try calling the in-park switchboard for an update 928-638-2631

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,805 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Lots of I-40 closures this morning, even by Kingman. You should check az511 if you're planning on driving through Northern AZ today because you'll probably have to find an alternate route.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Hoping that you checked road conditions this morning. Hwy 64 shows as impassable due to snow and ice north of Williams. It is closed to the east entrance of the park. AZ511 does not have information on roads inside GCNP. The GCNP web site has not been updated and still shows Hermit's Rest Rd. and the east rim road as closed.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

Even the Arizona Republic is saying "stay off the roads" ->: azcentral.com/news/…20090210AzSnow10-ON.html

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
60 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

well I'm still in Flagstaff where it's snowing right now.

The weather forecast for grand canyon has improved somewhat: weather.com/outlook/…USAZ0068

Also the national weather service has lifted the winter storm warning for the area so I'm still a little hopeful I'll be able to see the grand canyon under snow this afternoon or early tomorrow, although I really don't know what to expect...

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
60 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

video from today for those interested... tripadvisor.com/ProfileGallery-i19078189.html

10. Re: Reopening of roads tomorrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 19:18