We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon and Highway 66

New York
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon and Highway 66

We will be headed from Vegas to Grand Canyon on Hwy. 64. I've been reading about old Hwy. 66 that has some interesting sites. We were thinking of driving there on our way back to Vegas. Is it far off from our trip back?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
333 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon and Highway 66

Thank you for visiting Arizona, we appreciate your visit and look forward to assisting you to make your trip the best!

I have traveled the route you are talking about many times - both I-40 from Williams to Kingman and also done Route 66 from just west of Ashfork, AZ (just west of Williams) to Kingman then Hwy #93 from Kingman to Las Vegas.

The difference in time if you just drive and not stop is only about 1/2 hour more in time on Old Route 66 over I-40 and a world of difference in scenery.

There's two locations along this sections that are must stops - Seligman, AZ and Hackberry, AZ. Both of these locations have great Route 66 memorabilia and are definitely worth about a 1/2 hour each. Enjoy your trip.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,900 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon and Highway 66

We stopped on old Route 66 on our way back from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas in May 2007. It is well worth the little detour. There are some great diners along the way.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon and Highway 66

I suggest you start looking at http://www.historic66.com/

Loads of great info with detailed maps.

4. Re: Grand Canyon and Highway 66

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 23:18
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now