We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers - itinerary

washington, dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
First timers - itinerary

Hi everyone, I am geographically challenged but have planned out a trip using this forum. I would love comments/suggestions from all you experts as to whether this itinerary is logical in terms of the driving:

Day 1-4 - arrive Vegas and spend two days on strip rest if time in Las Vegas visiting with family.

day 5 drive to south rim of grand canyon, spend night

day 6 - finish exploring grand canyon, drive to Sedona, spend night in Sedona

day 7 - do some more exploring in Sedona, drive to Phoenix

day 8 - fly home from Phoenix

if there are certain must do things at the Canyon or Sedona, I love to hear them.

South Jersey, USA
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers - itinerary

You plan sounds good and is do-able in the amount of time that you have. What time of year are you coming and do you have your reservations inside the Grand Canyon? That would be the most important thing to do ASAP!!

What kind of interests do you have....outdoors, hiking? You can take the free shuttle around to all the view points and get on and off at your own pace and take it all the way out to Hermits Rest! Pretty neat out there! If you would like to hike a ways down into the canyon try the Bright Angel Trail. A whole different look! Go only as far as you can then turn around. It will take you twice as long to come up as it does to go down! Make a reservation at El Tovar dinning room for dinner. Food is ok, but the atmosphere is what it is all about! Very historic building.

In Sedona take the Pink Jeep/Broken Arrow tour your first day....it's awesome and loads of fun. Take a ride up to the Chapel of the Holy Cross..very pretty. There is also a lot of hiking in Sedona as well. Have dinner at The Cowboy Club, Cafe Elote, Picasso's Pizza!! The Coffee Pot for breakfast is a must..100's of omlets to choose from!

Have a great trip

SJG

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers - itinerary

I agree with SJG. Your itinerary is doable and not too rushed.

As far as things to do it depends on what you are interested in. At the GC they offer free ranger lead programs that are posted daily at the ranger station.

With Sedona there is a lot to do. Look at www.pinkjeep.com for a tour of the area. Also drive down 89A is a must do. Don't know when you are coming but if its warm enough and Slide rock is open its fun to swim in. Tons of hiking. check out www.visitsedona.com for more ideas. There's also many indian ruin sites to visit in the area. Jerome is also a cute little town with an awesome view not far away.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers - itinerary

Thank you this very helpful. I think we will do a little hiking but more sightseeing. I couldn't get reservations inside the park, but I was able to get reservations at the Grand Hotel. Not the same I know, but I'll keep checking. Thanks again.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
410 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers - itinerary

Did you try contacting Xanterra by phone for reservations? Their website doesn't keep up to date with cancellations. They can be reached at (888) 297-2757.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers - itinerary

I will definitely do that. Thank you very much for all the advice. If I am not able to get reservations in the Grand Hotel okay or should I look elsewhere?

6. Re: First timers - itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 04:19