We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

Hi,

We will have spent 3 weeks touring california. Our last week is visiting the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. We intend to leave Yoesimite on Friday 14th August and head for the grand Canyon. it's a long drive.

In your opinion would it be nicer/better to stay at Williams on the friday night, go Grand canyon Saturday, return to Williams and go Vegas Sunday.

or

Just stay in the Grand Canyon for two nights??? Is it really worth staying there or is it overpriced and touristy and would it be nicer to stay in Williams? Max budget is approx $350. Somewhere clean and nice.

We are driving so will we see enough of the Grand Canyon in a day and the sunset or would it really be reccomended to stay in a hotel with views of the canyon or just to be near the canyon.

It may be our only visit as we are not from America. We have lots more country on returning trips. Can't wait!!

A ig genuine thanks in advance for any help!!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
333 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

Hi,

I always recommend staying in the Grand Canyon Village area at one of the Lodges. The ease of walking from your lodge to the rim for sunrise or sunset makes all the difference in the world.

If you are only going to see the Grand Canyon once in your life, make it the best there is by really savoring your visit and stay where it is going to give you the peace and quiet a National Park is supposed to give to visitors. Enjoy your visit!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
55,712 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

Check your PMs. I just replied to your question. And I'll repeat what I said and what Tourguy has told you. The convenience of staying inside the park will so greatly enhance your GC experience that it far outweighs any other argument for staying elsewhere. If your time at the GC includes an overnight stay, every hour of that time, whether you're awake or asleep, will have meaning. And avoiding having to drive an hour or more at the beginning and end of the day is so important.

Being one hour closer to Las Vegas on Sunday morning means absolutely nothing. Being one hour closer the the Grand Canyon means everything. Being able to get out of bed and walk outside in the morning to the rim is priceless.

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

hi,

Bit of a problem with my server earlier when posting so some of my questions got multi posts, apologies for that. Okay, am now going to thoroughly research grand cANYON accomodation but i'd say I've left it a little late as originally we were only going to daytrip it from Vegas which i realise would have been crackers!!

Thaks guys

4. Re: Stay Grand Canyon or nearby town????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 18:21