We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

romantic star gazing etc

ireland
Level Contributor
546 posts
1 review
Save Topic
romantic star gazing etc

Hi,

what time will sunset and sunrise be at the grand canyon in August please?

Also is it worth staying in the grand canyon just to see the stars at night?

Could you go sit somewhere quiet and romantic at night or will you be stumbling in the dark and possibly fall into the canyon!!!Ha!! Ha!! Any good spots (not for the latter)

The hotels have very mixed reviews, if you're not on the rim is it still worth staying there? Restaurants don't seem too good.

Ideally we would love a day of gentle exploration, picnic lunch (where's good?), back to hotel, relax, dinner and romantic star gazing with my hubby and a bottle of wine.

Ideally We'd love a realy romantic outdoor meal at the grand canyon. Any ideas?

Also, clean, nice, modern hotel be very nice too!!

Tall order.

Thanks ever so much

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,950 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: romantic star gazing etc

Any outdoor meal will have to be a picnic or take out, not sure if any of the places have outdoor dining. I would look at www.nps.gov/grca and check out all the info there including sunrise/sunset times.

It is one thing to plan and another thing to worry to much about things you can not change. Summer is tourist season there will be people and cars, the lodges inside the park are either historic or modern, but all are clean and are really not why you are doing to the GC. The food will be what it is, some good, some ok and even some excellent. One does not go to our National Parks for 5 Star dining and lodging! Just enjoy the fact that you are at the GC.

I don't think there really is any better lodging or dining in Tusayan or Williams and Flagstaff is too far away!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: romantic star gazing etc

Grand Canyon hotels. Clean yes. Modern no, but they do have indoor plumbing ;-)

port deposit, md
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: romantic star gazing etc

The Perseids Meteor Showers are peaking on August 12, 2009. If the sky is clear, you will see as many as 60 shooting stars an hour. Below is a website to read about it:

http://stardate.org/nightsky/meteors/

I was so lucky when I was at the Grand Canyon in August 1974. I had no idea that this was a meteor shower going on. There was so many shooting stars I was constantly saying, "look over there... look over there." I was amazed. Granted, I have not seen a Perseids Shower like that one again, but I think it was because I was at the Grand Canyon, clean bright night sky and being in higher altitude.

I have been houseboating at Lake Powell during June and have seen many shooting stars there too.

Good luck star gazing,

Marsha

4. Re: romantic star gazing etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 18:23