We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Canyon trip planning

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Topic
Grand Canyon trip planning

all, (esp RedRox) I've followed the recent forum. We are looking for a trip to the Grand Canyon, having never been, and confused about several things. Please help?

1. What airport to fly into? is it Flagstaff?

2. Will rent a car and drive.

3. Do we want to stay at the Grand Canyon for maximum visit? I've read it is very expensive to stay at the Canyon.

4. is the South rim better than the North rim, or are they both worth seeing? Are we best to drive from one location to another, take the train and leave the rental car, or advice?

Thanks for any assistance. I didn't think it would be complicated, but it looks like I need more research!

Lisa

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
57,644 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

The GCNP at the South Rim is the best place for a first time visitor to the Grand Canyon.

Flying to Flagstaff is probably not the best idea.

Look at options to PHX or Las Vegas. PHX is about a 4 hour drive and LV is about 5 hours. You'll need to rent a car. Unless you plan to do extensive hiking, you can probably explore the park in 1-2 nights and 2-3 days. Lodging inside the park ranges from around $100-$300 per night. www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Combine your GC experience with additional time elsewhere in northern AZ or southern Utah for a maximum vacation. Consider Page, Bryce Canyon NP, Zion NP or Sedona or a combination of those destinations.

The train option from Williams is an expensive and time consuming way to get to and from the park (IMO). You still have to rent a car and having a car in the park is always better.

Explore the GCNP park website for more info. http://www.nps.gov/grca/index.htm

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

excellent! Thanks for the help.

I'll do more work and then, probably, have more questions.

I appreciate the input.

Lisa

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

for a place to stay less expensive than inside Grand Canyon Park.... you might consider Cameron's Trading Post. http://www.camerontradingpost.com/ Stayed there a couple of years ago and it is VERY nice. Exceptionally clean, all hand made furniture and huge rooms. It is about 30 minutes from the eastern entrance of the park (where DesertView is) They have a post office, gas station, HUGE gift shop with a wide range of items and prices, small grocery and great restauarant with good food and large portions. I remember alot of options for $10 or less for dinner. At any rate-- check out thier site and see if it might be helpful to you in keeping down the cost.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

thanks very much for the help!

we've never been to the Grand Canyon and are really dying to go.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
266 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

Having just been there last week, the only real reason I see for staying in the park is if you want to get up early to see the sunrise and start hiking bright and early. Otherwise there are a lot of places to stay in Tusayan nearby or further out in Cameron/Flagstaff that you could probably get cheaper.

6. Re: Grand Canyon trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 20:18